Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive issue

• Please log in to reply

j4m3s

j4m3s

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Sorry to bother you all but i was wondering if you could help me. I have a 2.5 portable hard drive (80gb)

It used to work ok but latly any movies or pic's i try and copy from my pc to the portable hdd they seem to merge into eachother.

Movies become blury and discolored then normal then weird again.

Pictures display bits of other copied pictures in eachother

(They are all fine on the desktop pc)

I tired reformating and defraging the hard drive, it didnt seem to work. Which was annoying becuase i made a backup of all the working stuff on the hard drive and when i tried to copy it back over it was all messed up.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The only answer I have is very simple, go to the hard drive maker's website and download diagnostic software to a floppy or CD and run it on the drive. If the drive is failing it may go completely at any time, so attempting to run it may make you lose everything on it. And copy everything of value off it before it fails.

j4m3s

j4m3s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
this may sound like im just lazy but i searched afew sites and downloaded what i thought was the write thing, had no luck and tried sevral more times. Do you know any good sites of hand?

It's a...

Fujitsu PORTABLE hard drive usb
2.5 80gb
Model: MHV2080AT

Edited by j4m3s, 01 March 2007 - 08:18 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
http://www.fel.fujit...c...f=swr&wg=13

This page has the diagnostics, they need to unzipped to a floppy that is bootable with MS DOS, if your machine doesn't use floppies you may have to make a CD with the diagnostics on it that is bootable, not so easy to do.

You can get a bootable win floppy from

www.allbootdisks.com

and unzip the files to it with any computer