Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card help

• Please log in to reply

smalls101

smalls101

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
We are trying to install an ATI Rage PRO 3d graphics card on an old emachines computer. The existing motherboard has integrated graphics but we need the AV out. The chip says its a 2x AGP card but its a PCI slot, which doesnt make sense to me, but it seems to fit. In the bios we switched the primary graphics card from PCI to AGP which now at least allows it to boot with the card in. We installed the drivers available from ATI's website. I know the card works seeing as it runs fine in an old g3. Maybe its just a mac card? now that the drivers are installed the device manager sees the device, but says theres a "Code 10 Device cannot start". Everything ive read says this is a driver problem, but i dont see any other drivers?

TYIA

Advertisements

johnthunder

johnthunder

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Post the chip details or and card numbers for a better response.
If its an AGP card it should be fitted to the brown slot, if its a PCI card then it should be fitted into a white slot.
Code 10 is normally a driver error

beaubulldog

beaubulldog

• Pip
  • 1 posts
yah i own the gfx card smalls mentioned. i'm the other in the "we." ... it's an ATI Rage PRO 3D Card. I know the difference between AGP and PCI... the chip itself says "3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X" and yet the whole card fits in a PCI slot. i notice not all the spaces for contacts are filled on the card's pci interface... possibly an AGP chip formatted to interface in a PCI slot? it's Part Number 109-43100-00. hope that helps