Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Sound problem

• Please log in to reply

dfb500

dfb500

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi all, For the last two days I have noticed that my PC is no longer issuing any sound for any Windows events. I checked the obvious, like volume settings and sound and audio devices and cannot pinpoint the problem. My speakers are built into the display screen so it can't be a loose cord or anything like that. Any more detailed suggestions on what to try? I am running Windows XP Professional.

Thx

David

Advertisements

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
what do you mean any windows events?

Do you mean the opening sound when windows starts or the sound when an alert comes up?

Are you still able to play audio files like mp3s or wma?

dfb500

dfb500

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yes, that is what I mean by Windows events, any event that is programmed to initiate a sound file. That includes all AOL events also, like Welcome, You got Mail, etc.

Second, I do not receive any sound for any sound file located on my PC, that includes video formats also, get picture, no sound.

D

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
try updating the driver for your sound device.

If you do not know the make of your sound device then download Aida32 from the download section. It will provide a list of the components of your computer.

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13