Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe errors at Windows XP startup/shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
These errors occur sporadically (I regularly defrag my hard disks and I have no malware):

When starting up Windows XP:

Explorer.EXE - Application Error

The instruction at “0x7c8ee008” referenced memory at “0x716f032e”. The memory could not be “written”.

N.B. If I restart Explorer.EXE, there is no problem from then on!

When shutting down Windows XP:

Explorer.EXE - Application Error

The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812a5b

Runtime error 217 at 0249EC09

N.B. Then Windows shuts down ... no problem!

But I would still like to know what is causing these problems.

Edited by Robster the Lobster, 28 February 2007 - 01:28 PM.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
The two things I would start with is, running sfc /scannow and running Mem86 Memory test. Select the "free download" on the left side of the page.
You will need your XP CD you run sfc.

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK, thanks, I'll try those checks. Should I run sfc in safe mode?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
You can use it in normal mode. Execute it from the Run dialog box.

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
System File Checker keeps asking for files on my Windows XP install CD, yet cannot find them. I keep clicking the Retry button, but it cannot find the 'missing' files it wants to copy to the dll cache. It's maddening. What to do? I am also concerned that sfc will overwrite newer versions of system files with older ones, destroying the stability and integrity of my system. Is that a legitimate concern? (Having wrestled with Windows XP since I installed it years ago, I have a deeply ingrained distrust of its ability to protect and repair itself! Indeed, I have a deeply ingrained distrust of Microsoft. :whistling: )

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK, I worked around that problem by copying the I386 folder from my Windows XP installation CD to the system disk C: and setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath to C:\ (a workaround I found at http://www.updatexp....annow-sfc.html). On the 2nd attempt, sfc only asked me for one replacement file, which it said was on the SP2 installation CD, which of course I do not have because, like most people, I downloaded SP2. Any ideas on how to get sfc to look for this file in the correct location (C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles)? I skipped that file (whatever it was), so I may have a corrupted version.

Edited by Robster the Lobster, 05 March 2007 - 06:55 AM.

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ran memtest86 v3.3 and it found zero errors. Any (new) theories on what could be causing my Explorer.exe errors?