Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unmountable boot volume?

• Please log in to reply

inheritedhornet

inheritedhornet

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
My laptop has been slow the past few days. I realized it had only 256MB of RAM so i just ordered 256 MB last night. It was sooooo slow last night so i just gave up and turned it off. I turned it back on this morning and a blue screen came on and it said "unmountable boot volume." and some things i dont remember. I tried to load windows XP again but it wont work.

I had the same problem with a previous laptop and they told me the hard drive was gone. Does that mean the hard drive on this one too is gone? Can i save it? :whistling:

Advertisements

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

My laptop has been slow the past few days. I realized it had only 256MB of RAM so i just ordered 256 MB last night. It was sooooo slow last night so i just gave up and turned it off. I turned it back on this morning and a blue screen came on and it said "unmountable boot volume." and some things i dont remember. I tried to load windows XP again but it wont work.

I had the same problem with a previous laptop and they told me the hard drive was gone. Does that mean the hard drive on this one too is gone? Can i save it? :whistling:

I would recommend doing a repair installation of Windows XP if you have a CD. I doubt the hard drive is dead,
I think Windows has just gone ka plunk for some reason... we'll see what others have to say.

inheritedhornet

inheritedhornet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
thanks...it doesnt stay on long enough for my XP CD to load so i cant get to the point of repairing it. Im somewhat clueless about computers though so i might find someone to help me do it. Maybe im doing it wrong

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
OK! Dang, ouch. Are you running the laptop through a battery or is everything plugged in? Does the laptop completely shut off within a matter of seconds that you turn it on?

Edited by techie4fun, 28 February 2007 - 02:30 PM.

inheritedhornet

inheritedhornet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
everything is plugged. it doesnt shut off. JSYK, i turned it off by using the "off" button the night before. So when i turn it on, it asks if i want to start in safe mode, last good mode or normal mode and whichever option i choose, it will go to the blue screen.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hello,

Have a look here

You may need to load the BIOS fail-safe defaults.

-slacker

inheritedhornet

inheritedhornet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
thank you :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts