Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building 1st PC <-does this look good?

• Please log in to reply

Soulja

Soulja

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm building my first PC from scratch and I am looking for some advice on what I'm putting in it. A good friend of mine put this list together, but before I go and commit any cash to the cause, he said I should wait until he talks to another friend about it just to be sure. I'm getting ancy and it's been a few days, so I thought I'd post here and get a few more opinions! Thanks in advance!

BTW-This PC will be used primarily for graphic design and flash creation. I'll be using photoshop, swishmax, vegas, Magix, and a few other programs as I get to learn them a bit more, and I want to be able to run these without bogging down my PC. I also do some online gaming with FPS games and enjoy RTS as well. Would love to be able to run some of the newer games on higher res settings but not a major priority to have the best of the best in any of these components. Just looking to build a very good PC at the best cost. Best cost being UNDER $600 unless extremely justifiable!!

Current specs for what I have are as follows:
Dell Dimension 8300
Windows XP
P4 2.6GHz
512MB Ram (2x256MB)
120GB HD
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB Vid Card
SB Live! Audio Card

The new system can be seen here here OR is as follows for quick reference!

MOBO: ABIT IL9 Pro LGA 775 Intel 945P ATX Intel -$85
Vid Card: EVGA 256 P2 n615 TX GeForce 76000GT PCI-E x16 -$110
PCU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz (model=BX80557E6300) -$183
RAM: OCZ Gold 1GB (2x512MB) 240pin DDR2 -$94
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA 3.0GBs/HD OEM -$80
DVD+R: Lite-ON 18x DVD+-R with 12X DVD-RAM write Black (model LH-18A1p-186)

Total cost=~$585

I also have already an Aspire Chameleon Series Power supply 550W and the case is just an old ATX tower which is usable just not cosmetically sound!

If anyone has any suggestions on hardware that is comparable and cheaper or perhaps some input on the quality of certain pieces in this list, please respond! I don't want to get this put together and find out I just built a derby car for the Daytona 500!!!

Edited by Soulja, 28 February 2007 - 02:24 PM.

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
for the dvd burner i would go for a better brand, otherwise i like the setup

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Looks ok to me. The lite-on dvd burner would work fine. I like pioneer DVD burners there cheap and good quality IMO. :whistling:

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
also i might suggest looking at getting a better desktop case only surely because of the better cooling design so as to insure you will have no overheating problems
now or in the future

and i have no idea of your budget but i might also erge you to consider moving to the E6600 CPU purely for the fact that it has double the amount of cache again and a higher clock speed and there for almost giving you around a 30-40% performance gain over the E6300 which is the very entry level of the CPU's, and also if you were wanting to attempt any sort of overclocking in the future the 6600 CPU can match the E6700 extreme edition.

read a few reviews and see how some of the CPU's match up and the difference between them that way you will make an educated decision weather or not to spend a little more money on a better CPU that will last a few more years

thats my two cents,

troppo

MkLoe

MkLoe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
I heard that the E6300 Processor was pretty bad I was thinking of getting that too but the AMD X2 4600 is about the same price and better. Then you would have to change your MOBO

Soulja

Soulja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hey thanks fellas. great feedback!