Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP boot annoyance

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
on my laptop when i log in for some reason nothing comes up unless i hit enter. once i hit enter everything loads quickly and properly... but if i don't the load time takes a while for everything to come up. has anyone seen this issue before?

thanks

Edited by hulud, 28 February 2007 - 04:44 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please post your boot ini file. It should look something like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

SRX660

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
here it is (i copied this from msconfig):

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Edited by hulud, 01 March 2007 - 10:47 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I think you have to hit the enter key because you boot ini files says the XP os on a second partition. I wonder if your computer had a dual boot setup that was changed. I have not delt with this and will ask some other techs if they have. Please be patient for a day untill i can get some answers.

SRX660

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You have to hit the enter key, because there is no partition listed under the [operating systems] heading. In fact, you don't have an [operating systems] heading at all. You need to edit the boot.ini file and delete everything that is currently in there and replace it with the following:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 01 March 2007 - 04:19 PM.

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
thanks ill give that a try.

when i search the boot.ini doesnt come up... whats teh easiest way to edit it? recovery console?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Edit the Boot.ini File
To view and edit the Boot.ini file:
1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties OR START-->RUN and type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
3. Under System Startup, click Edit.

Fenor