Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Hardware Wizard Nightmare!

• Please log in to reply

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
Heres the problem:

When I reboot windows, for some reason, XP pro go's out and tries to add a printer I have already installed. I have uninstalled the printer and then reinstalled the printer with still the same issue re-occuring. I was almost tempted to turn of plug and play but know this could make a system very unstable. Any advise, ideas would be greatfull.

Thanks

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-jjsmith-[Printer not installed-1st March-2007

Good Morning jjsmith (Jack) – Welcome to = Geeks to Go –

When I reboot windows, for some reason, XP pro go's out and tries to add a printer I have already installed.

This is a problem usually associated with installing procedure – of the Printer or a – Another New Device] or after receiving a – Windows update – Your profile contained PC information – I just need to know more about your – printer – how old is PC and Power Supply Info – Other USB Devices – Other Installed/previously installed Printers – and most recent issue – upgrade – installation – removal –

1. How old is PC
2. Printer Manufacturer & Model
3. Type of interface – Probably USB -
4. How old / how long has printer been installed – Has it ever worked
5. Is this a new installation for printer
6. What Manufacturer & Model of Old printer
7. Is old Printer still installed
8. How long has trouble been occurring
9. Has it been working & just started having problem
10. What was last Device installed
11. Description + Manufacturer & Model of all USB Devices including HUBs
12. Need Info on Power Supply – Wattage – Manufacturer – Model

Motherboard - Asus A8N-SLI Delux NF4 RTL
CPU - AMD 64 3700+ 939P
RAM- DDR CRSR 512MB X2
Video Card - e-GeForce6800 GT

http://usa.asus.com/...amp;modelmenu=2

Jack123

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
All windows current updates presently loaded....

I have tried to uninstall the printer completely, driver and all... unplug.. re-install and then plug in as well as running the install with the printer plugged in.

1. How old is PC - New
2. Printer Manufacturer & Model - Dell OptiPlex 745 mini tower
3. Type of interface – Probably USB - USB
4. How old / how long has printer been installed – on old PC
5. Is this a new installation for printer - Yes
6. What Manufacturer & Model of Old printer XEROX Phaser 8400b
7. Is old Printer still installed - no
8. How long has trouble been occurring - since I implemented the new system and joined it to domain
9. Has it been working & just started having problem - just started with new PC
10. What was last Device installed - Phaser 8400
11. Description + Manufacturer & Model of all USB Devices including HUBs - dell -mouse, keyboard
12. Need Info on Power Supply – Wattage – Manufacturer – Model -- not in front of PC but would assume 320watt

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-jjsmith-[Printer not installed-1st March-2007

Ok- Are you attemping to install the – Phaser 8400b Printer – in the – Dell OptiPlex 745 mini tower – PC? – Not that it matters – I just need to have the – Correct USB Specs – for your PC -

Shut down PC to obtain a – Starting Point

Open - Device Manager ---***EDIT - Added Step to select Device Manager*** As Noted in My Next Post
1. Turn Printer Off And Disconnect Printer from PC
2. Power PC On & Boot up PC – Did Plug & Play find – New Hardware ? **NOTE**
3. Right Click – My Computer – Move Cursor to – Properties – and Select & Open –Properties –
4. Select – Hardware Tab – Select – Device Manager Button- - EDIT STEP***
5. Expand All – Universal Serial Bus Host Controllers Do you see any – Yellow Warning Question Marks or Exclamation Signs- – ***NOTE***
6. Is there a – USB Printing Support Folder – With Printer turned off- The – USB Printing Support Folder – should not be Present – **NOTE**
7. Minimize Device Manager – for later use –

Now lets Open Printers Folder

1. Click – Start Button
2. Move Cursor to - Settings – Select – Printers Folder & Open
3. Is the – Phaser 8400b Printer shown – Right Click on Printer – Observe that Printer is set for Default Printer – Select – Properties Page – and Open-
4. Select – Ports Tab – Veriy that – USB001 Virtual Port for Phaser 8400b is checked
5. Close Port Tab – by Clicking – OK
6. Minimize Printers Folders – for later use

Now Maximize – Device Manager and look at USB Root Hubs

1. Connect Printer to PC USB Port
2. Turn Printer On
3. Device Manager should – Refresh – And show the – USB Printing Support Folder – ***Note*** – Do you observe ant – Yellow Question Marks or Exclamation Signs
4. Open – USB Printing Folder – Click on – Driver Tab – And then Click on – Driver Details – Observe USB Driver – usbprint.sys – ***NOTE***
5. Did – Plug & Play – Find new Hardware & install Printer? – ***NOTE***

Proper Operation

1. USB Printing Support Folder – Should have appeared when the USB Printer was connected & turned On – And the USB Driver –usbprint.sys – Should have appeared – ***NOTE***
2. And – Plug n Play – SHOULD NOT – Found New Hardware – at this time- ***NOTE***

Improper Operation

1. Plug n Play – Found new Hardware & installed Printer – ***NOTE***
2. USB Printing Support Folder – Appeared after – Plug n Play – installed Printer and USB Driver – usbprint.sus – is shown in Driver Details – ***NOTE***

Leave Printer Turned ON & connected to PC – Now Restart PC – See if – Plug n Play – Finds New Hardware & tries to Install Printer or if – Device Manager shows – USB Printing Support Folder –And you are able to use printer –

Now Turn OFF Printer & Reboot – Did – Plug n Play – Find New Hardware? Turn Printer ON – Did – Plug n Play – Find New Hardware and Install Printer – ***NOTE*** – Can you use printer – ***NOTE

Hopefully this was successful?? Tell me what all you were able to observe – And I will try a closer look at your USB Controller -
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 02 March 2007 - 12:19 PM.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03-jjsmith-[Printer not installed-2nd March-2007

Corrected the Open Device Manager Procedure – in the Previous Post as follows

Open Device Manager

1. Turn Printer Off And Disconnect Printer from PC
2. Power PC On & Boot up PC – Did Plug & Play find – New Hardware ? **NOTE**
3. Right Click – My Computer – Move Cursor to – Properties – and Select & Open –Properties –
4. Select – Hardware Tab – Select – Device Manager Button – (This will open Device Manager)
5. Expand All – Universal Serial Bus Host Controllers Do you see any – Yellow Warning Question Marks or Exclamation Signs- – ***NOTE***
6. Is there a – USB Printing Support Folder – With Printer turned off- The – USB Printing Support Folder – should not be Present – **NOTE**
7. Minimize Device Manager
– for later use –

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 02 March 2007 - 12:15 PM.

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
I will get back to you some time next week on this one... I have to attend to some business thank you for the ongoing help so far...

Guest_jjsmith_*

Guest_jjsmith_*
Found the problem, USB in services was disabled for some odd reason.... works great now, thanks for your time though