Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express 6 Errors

• Please log in to reply

Cabranth

Cabranth

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi. :whistling:

I'm trying for the first time to use my Outlook Express 6 and I keep getting these error messages. Btw, if it matters my OS is XP Media Center.

When I first open OE6 it gives me the following:

Task: Check for new messages on "Mail Server"

Errors: The host 'POP3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'Mail Server', Server: 'POP3', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

When I try to send an e-mail I have composed it gives me the following:

Task: Send 1 message using "Mail Server".

Errors: The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'Mail Server', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

This is the first time I've ever tried to use OE6 and I have no idea what these things mean. I've tried to find answers in the "Help" provided with the program and by searching online, but everything I've found so far is almost completely incomprehensible to me.

Thx.:blink:

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would carefully check how you set up your email account(s) for OE 6. See M$' Setting Up Mail Server.

A Hotmail account is a walkthrough if you have one. The slightest checked/unchecked box or wrong POP3/SMPT setting can cause you problems. That includes a mistake in your Password entry.

Ron

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello Major Payne.

Thank you very much for the link to the tutorial. It actually explained in (relatively) simple English what my problem was. I just didn't understand how to enter my server name correctly.

I have another question:

When I finally got my OE6 connected and working, one of my e-mails in the "Outbox" moved by itself to the "Sent Items". I had tried sending this e-mail several times when I still had my account configured incorrectly, but I did NOT click on any kind of confirmation button for it after I fixed the connection. Did this e-mail "send itself" when I finally managed to get my problem resolved?

Thanks.:whistling:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi Cabranth:

Glad you got it set up ok. Kinda thought that was your problem, but thought you might appreciate the tut link anyway. Fell free to use it any time. I've got more coming when I can find the time.

Usually OE will send mail when you open it and that will be sent to you Sent box. You can change this behavior in Tools/Options on the General tab under Send / Receive Messages.

Ron

Cabranth

Cabranth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi Major Payne. :blink:

Ok, so I just need to un-check the box that says "Send/recieve e-mails on startup"? That's how it looked to my beginner's eyes anyway.

If that's correct, then I guess I have everything I need for now. If I run into another roadblock for whatever, I'm sure you guys will hear from me.

Thank you again. You and everyone else here have always been helpfull. :whistling:

Toodles.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

That's all you have to do if you want to have control over when your email is actually sent and received. Just use the Send/Receive All button or (Ctrl+m) at top of OE to send / receive your email. Let me know if there's anything else.

Ron