Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this even possible?

• Please log in to reply

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Okay so today in school there was this kid who downloaded the Command and Conquer 3 demo onto his laptop and it barely runs. And he was telling me that he was probably going to change the graphics on his laptop and that puzzled me. So I inquire as to how he is going to do it and this was his response.

He is going to take the video card from his mothers desktop pc and put it into his laptop.

Now right away I told him there's not a chance in [bleep] that would even work. But he said he was going to the actual graphics processor saying "there is an actual graphics processor". I'm guessing by that he just means separating the actual die from the circuit board. And then he is going to switch that with whatever is in his laptop.

I told him it wasn't going to work because you simply can't do that for a number of reasons. He dismissed what I said and said it can be done. And now that I think about it, I honestly don't know. And I'm curious to know if it can be done. But I don't think you can simply make that sort of switch.

Firstly, can you actually just remove the die from the circuit board? He said it just comes out but last time I checked, they just don't detach from the entire card. And even if you could, how safe would it be to handle the actual thing.

Secondly, I'd imagine since he has a laptop he most likely has integrated video of some sort. Now I looked at his laptop and its maybe a one-two year old Compaq Presario (I couldn't find the exact model). And if it was integrated video on the motherboard, I don't even think its possible to [bleep] around and with the gpu in it. I'm not even entirely sure how integrated graphics works on a motherboard to be honest, but I don't think you can just swap.

And if he actually had a video card, well again I just don't think you can switch models. He doesn't know what model is in his desktop pc or company. And he doesn't know what is in his laptop now.

And just I can't actually think of actual reasons why any more. The idea seems so absurd to me because it just doesn't make sense. You can't just magically switch things, can you? I don't think you can, and I'd actually be really surprised it is a feasible thing to do.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most laptops you cannot change the graphics card. If you must try unsoldering any connection in a graphics card you will probably have a non-working laptop when you are done. In the last few years some laptop makers have gone to where they do have changeable graphics cards like this Dell e1705.

http://legitreviews.com/article/349/1/

SRX660

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes but even if you can change it, a standard desktop GPU will not work in a notebook. You need a mobility GPU, but chance are very high that he has intergraded graphics in his laptop and there is no where that he'll be able to connect it to the motherboard.
James

P.S. I want to see someone just try and solder a graphics chip from one card to the other, I'd bet all the money that I'd have that it would not work afterwards. Expecially since he doesn't even know whats in his laptop, meaning he isn't even an enthusiast that has knowledge about the issue.

edited because my PS didn't make sence :whistling:

Edited by james_8970, 05 March 2007 - 04:34 PM.

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

P.S. I want to see someone just try and solder a graphics chip from one card to the other, I'd up all the money that I'd have that it would not work afterwards. Expecially since he doesn't even know whats in his laptop, meaning he isn't even an enthusiast that has knowledge about the issue.

He doesn't, but the kid is really arrogant and stubborn. I'm not too fond of him, but I do happen to have some knowledge in that area so I thought I could help him. But he wouldn't even let me explain. But then I realized I wasn't even sure if you could do it. Simply because it seems too far-fetched and radical to even accomplish it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It's totally impossible , dimensions would be wrong for one thing, and power requirements are all wrong its not possible you can get external gfx cards asus i think makes an external gaming system that has a gfx card and a x-fi sound card in it which is about the only way hes going to even come close to playing that game in his laptop not to mention CPU and memory considerations a modern RTS needs a fast CPU as well and plenty RAM supreme commander is crippling on higher setting to all but the fastest of fast PCs.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....as everyone else has said..completely impossible...EVEN if he could safeley desolder the GPU from one card and resolder it into another....that other card's architecture isn't built for that GPU...there's no way to know if the "pin assignments" are the same...if it's a more powerful GPU the voltages are probably different...etc..etc.. these are just the physical limitations....not even taking into account the fac tthere there would be no drivers for this frankensteined monster of a card...

tell your friend that it's COMPLETELY possible and that he should give it a try, and that you'll bring the soldering iron over to help him out....then laugh

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

tell your friend that it's COMPLETELY possible and that he should give it a try, and that you'll bring the soldering iron over to help him out....then laugh

Darn you beat me to it.
Don't forget to take pictures of him trying to jam it into the laptop, it'd be more entertaining then watching a 5 year old putting the wrong piece into the wrong section of a puzzle.
James

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
There will be external cards that will be available soon for laptops, but nothing from a desktop will work on a laptop unless it's external...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes they will be available from ATI. Only new laptops that have yet to be released can do it however, you need some kind of PCI-E x16 exterior connector. They hasn't really been any clear confirmations what it'll be like.
James

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Actually ive seen nvidia ones, Asus have the biggest selection of them and they connect in a variety of way most by allready existing laptop expansion and connection ports.

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
And when his Laptop blows up, let him READ this article. FWAHHAHA

Oh boy, I think he'll feel SO stupid.

Oh, for the record: rofl.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Oh, for the record: rofl.