Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setup a secure wireless network

• Please log in to reply

harriesh

harriesh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have 2 computers, one hard wired (call that PC1), and a wireless workstation (PC2). The wireless is configured with WPA-PSK security and is working fine. PC1 has a hidden shared folder setup for access from PC2. I have customers who visit regularly and need internet access during their visit; and I provide them with the passkey (which I change on a monthly basis), but I'm worried about them gaining access to the data, even though I've setup the shared name with a dollar appended to it. I have had no success in assigning a password to the shared folder.

The main question is; what's the safest way for me to have a wireless environment, but ensure my customers will have no possible way of gaining access to my data. All it would take is a tool to scan for hidden folders on a local network to get into the wrong hands.

PC1 is a Windows XP Home desktop.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi harriesh and welcome to g2g,

You could encrypt the shares on the network with PGP(pretty good privacy). This Is one of the best privacy guards out there and the freeware version works great. do a little bit of homework before you implement an encryption environment as loosing the keys for your data could leave your data unrecoverable.