Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

E-Mails etc

• Please log in to reply

splockton

splockton

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have done the maleware clean out and I still am not able to log into hotmail. same with when I need to check my bank account teh page comes up as "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" and even when I go to windows update as well I cant update.
what else can I do? :whistling:

Advertisements

splockton

splockton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, I only have a few more days to stay at my sisters and I have to go back to the lower mainland. I would like to fix her computer before I go home. I'll see if I can explain better about her situation.

on her computer we can't log into any e-mail accounts or any bank accounts we can't download anything like firewall etc. Windows/Msn messenger won't work and Yahoo messenger.

There was a firewall on here before but it got uninstalled would that be the problem :whistling: ? :blink:

:help:

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Most of the time this is caused by security applications such as NIS and McAfee. Experince has shown me that disabling them doesn't always solve the issue as most register as services and are still running in the background.

Go to Safe mode with networking (start /run /open=msconfig. Click on the Boot.ini tab and select "safe boot" then click on "network" then click OK and restart. I the problem is not still there adjust the security settings for your software(usually a privacy setting in the firewall).

If the the problem is still there you can reset the TCP/IP and winsock from command prompt. (start /run /open=cmd. type in "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" (no quotes) and press enter. Next type in "netsh winsock reset" (no quotes) and press enter, if this is XP sp2 you should get the message about successfully resetting the winsock catalog and you need to restart. If this fixes the issue reboot to normal mode(start /run /open=msconfig. on the general tab click normal start up and OK and restart.

splockton

splockton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So, am I suppose to do the bottom part in "Safe Mode"? :whistling:

splockton

splockton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok I did try them both, but it still doesn't seem to work for me :whistling: I hope I wasn't suppose to do that last one under safe mode. But it hasn't worked for me.
And I don't have firewall on here, had it at one time but got un-installed and we can't reinstall their are certain programs that we can't go in on the internet.

splockton

splockton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
O.k. my time is up on here, someone can delete these messages I am going back home. My sister will just have to bring it in to get it fixed.
Thank you for your help

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Your posts will not be deleted in case you can come back and resolve the problem. You did mention that your firewall had been dis-abled for some time. There is a possibily that you are severly infected with Malware. Our Malware forum will be glad to help, but it, too, will take more time then you seem to have. We'll be here for you when you can come back.

Ron