Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed new motherboard Monitor wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

Clutch13

Clutch13

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi i bought a new motherboard with a proccesor its a via pt800ce-a with a pentium 4 3.0 ghz ht technolgy i installed all the parts and everything i boot up my computer but when i do my monitor wont show up i tried clearing cmos still wouldnt work i have a ati radeon 9600 se im upgrading from a amd athlon xp to p4 i tried replacing the processor and motherboard still wont work i replaced it 2 times still wont work plz help!@! :tazz:

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Do any fans spin? are the drives starting up? If they are try another video card.
Are there any beeps?

Are you sure the monitor is good.

Rick

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Is there a onboard video card? if so try connectting the monitor that that.

And maybe you can give some feedback on Rick's questions. Then we can might help you better.

Rik

Clutch13

Clutch13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
The fans do spin i have no other video card. I dont hear any beeps i tried testing it i removed the ram and i didnt hear any beeps when i turned it on. and this mobo dosent ahve a onboard graphics

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
My first guess would be bad video card 2nd would be bad psu but they are only guesses.

Here is what you should do to try and eliminate as much as possible before purchasing a video card or psu.

Remove everthing but cpu, hsf,ram.
Remove mobo from case and place on a piece of cardboard
Install only cpu with hsf
1 stick of ram in the correct dimm
video card
Psu making sure the 20 and 4 pin connector are attached
Case speaker making sure the + and - are correct
Case switch
Mouse, keyboard, monitor
Verify all jumpers on the mobo are correct
Verify the cpu fan is on the correct header on the mobo
Clear the cmos by switching jumper from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3 and waiting 5 minutes, then make sure to replace jumper to pins 1&2

Now power on, what you want to do here is get a post and be able to get into bios.
If you can it could have been a case short or one of the removed components or as simple as a jumper setting or connection not good.
If you can not you would have to try the video card in another computer to test. There are ways to test the psu but we can try that if the above fails so post back your results.

Rick

Clutch13

Clutch13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i havent tried it dobby but the video card works when i install back my amd

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well then we know it ain't the video card, I would try the above or if you don't want to go thru all that you could try another psu if you have one that meets P4 specs.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If you have a digital volt meter we can do a test on the psu.

Clutch13

Clutch13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
im at noob at this okie first wat is a hsf and a psu

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am very sorry,

hsf is heat sink fan it cools the processor (cpu)
psu is power supply unit

Let me know if you have any other questions

Rick

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Just thought of another thing, could you tell us the power supply make and its watts and amps on the 12v 3.3v and 5v , this info should be listed on the psu.

I am thinking that if you upgraded maybe it ain't powerfull enough for the new system.

Rick

Clutch13

Clutch13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
okthis is wat i saw under my psu here it is
A/c~lp 115/230V~ 8/4a 60/50hz
Dc 3.3V 5V 12V "-12" V "-5"V 15VSB
Op 28a 35a 16a 0.8a 0.3a 2a
+5v & 3.3v combine load 200w
+5v & 3.3v +12v combine load 330w
Most output is 350w

so read on there i dont kno where it is and if u have aim please post my aim is il2od

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I don't think that psu has enough amps on the 12v and 330w is kind of low for that system.

If it does not have a 4 pin 12v connection fron the psu to the mobo then it is no good, this is in addition to the 20 pin.

What we know,

It should not be the mobo or cpu because you have tried different ones.
You tried the video card in another computer and it works
You are getting no beeps with a case speaker hooked up to the system so I am assuming this is not the ram.

This only leaves the psu.

If you try all my suggestions and it still don't work purchase a new psu, I recommend Antec 430w true series. Stay away from cheap generic psu's

Rick

Clutch13

Clutch13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi doby so would it be possible to get a psu higher than that 450w ur talking about can i get like a 500w? plz if u have aim yahoo or msn plz tell me ur sn so i can live chat

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I normally don't use any chat messengers I use the board to post trouble shooting procedures sorry

Yes it is possible to get a 450w or 500 w and probly better just stay away from generics

Antec 480w true is good and 500w Ulta Xconnect is also good I use both of these.