Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Testing Power Supply

• Please log in to reply

whitfang

whitfang

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I inherited an E-machines w2260 from my wife's office. They just came in one day and the PC didn't work. When I plug it in, absolutely nothing happens; no hum, no buzz, no fan. I am thinking a lightning strike or a power surge.

Suspecting a damaged power supply, I removed the PS and plugged in a PS from another PC. The fan goes on and the hard drives hum, but no beeps, no signal to the monitor.

The original PS was 250W, the good 'test' PS is 90W. Should this work, for test purposes or do I need a 250W test power supply?

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
90watts is way to little for testing that much power especially on a Emachine.

I am suspecting the MOBO has gone out. Are there any burnt spots or bulged capaciators on the board?

whitfang

whitfang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Can't see any damage to the mobo.

That's just my guess as to what the problem might be (lightning or surge).

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Alright.

Do you see any lights flashing on the mobo when either PSU is plugged in?

whitfang

whitfang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Is it true that you cannot test a disconnected power supply by just plugging it in?

I mean, when you have a PS with all cables disconnected and out of the PC, then plug it in, shouldn't the cooling fan go on at least?

When I had both my good and bad power supplies out, neither one went on when plugged in.

whitfang

whitfang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No lights with the 90W power supply.

But I do not see any unlit LEDs on the mobo.

whitfang

whitfang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
What does a dead battery do?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
A dead battery is on the Mobo. It would not have to do with anythng but you can try taking it out for a hour and putting it back in.

whitfang

whitfang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your help.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This is a method to check if your power supply is working at all.

Posted Image

The fan in the PS should run with this jumper in the PS motherboard connector.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 03 March 2007 - 02:55 AM.

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I just bought one of these. It gives you an LCD display of all the voltages and beeps if any are out of tolerance. Works on both 20 pin and 24 pin units:

http://www.frozencpu...ml?tl=g11c28s88

whitfang

whitfang

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just got done buying/installing a new 300W power supply.

Staples had one for $49 (and you can return it later).

The cooling fans (CPU and PSU) run, the mouse has power, the HDs are running, but no beeps and no monitor signal.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Now I am suspecting graphics.

Is this on-board graphics?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
When a power supply fails, it frequently will take out other components. Possibly the motherboard. I had a psu short out and take out both of my hardrives. Everything else was fine.

Unplug the pc and ground yourself by touching the frame of the pc before touching anything inside.

You might get lucky by re-seating the video card and the RAM. See if it boots. If not....

There are different ways to handle this. I think that I would disconect all peripherals except the keyboard. I would remove all cards except the video card. Unplug the machine first. I would re-seat the video card and remove all but one stick of RAM. I would re-seat the RAM stick. Since there is nothing on the screen, I would disconect all of the drives including the hardrive. The bios info will still be displayed on the screen with the hardrive disconected. The first goal is to get the bios to put something on the screen.

edit...I would reseat the video cable on the card also.

Edited by macten, 03 March 2007 - 05:58 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
It is well known that when the Bestec power supplies used in Emachine and some HP/Compaq PCs dies from either old age or power surge it usually take the motherboard with it. All the other peripherals wiill start but there will be no signal from the motherboard/CPU.