Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search Function Not Working

• Please log in to reply

foxoff

foxoff

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello,

Having a very strange problem with Windows XP on my new PC. The Search function doesn;t work. The error message tells me that a file may be missing and to run setup. Would really appreciate some help here. It's not urgent just annoying.

Thanks,
Fox

:whistling:

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Foxoff
Try this Start, right-click a blank spot on the left side of the Start menu, click Properties when it appears, select Start Menu, Customize, Advanced, check the Seach checkbox, Apply, Ok I hope this Helps you Good Luck

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

foxoff

foxoff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello,

I tried but no joy! It was already ticked. Thanks for the advice though.

When I click Search I receive a message that reads: "A file that is required to Run Search Companion is cannot be found. You may need to run setup."

Anyone experienced this weirdness before?

Thanks, Fox

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
What does the error message say? :whistling:

Can you confirm?

Hubster

Hubster

I posted trash

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Inappropriate comment

Edited by frantique, 06 March 2007 - 06:23 AM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Have you downloaded and installed all of the critical updates? If not you should.

Check out;

Error Message: "A File That Is Required to Run Search Companion Cannot Be Found"

foxoff

foxoff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Okay, I tried reinstalling the Search companion (and I have already installed all critical updates). Now a Files Needed window pops up and error message comes up :The File "msgr3en.dll on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 is needed".

This is weird. :whistling:

Fox

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
http://ureader.com/m...ge/1492140.aspx

Reinstall the Search Companion Files:

1. Log on to the computer by using an account with administrator permissions.
2. Click Start, click Run, type: %systemroot%\inf , and then click OK.
3. Locate the "Srchasst.inf" file.
4. Right-click the "Srchasst.inf" file, and then click Install. This reinstalls the files
that Search Companion uses.

NOTE: You may need your Windows XP CD-ROM to finish installing Search Companion.

Edited by Whiskeyman, 08 March 2007 - 08:27 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you have an XP cd or, if not, can you borrow one which is similar to your XP installation (home edition or professional). Insert the disk to the drive and then click Start > run. Type sfc /scannow (please note the space after sfc) and click OK. The computer will run a process that checks and adds or replaces essential xp files. A blue bar, advancing slowly will show up. Let it run all the way. When the procedure ends it disappears from the screen without any notice. Check the Search" function now.