Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU usage

• Please log in to reply

Kosti

Kosti

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello. In the last few weeks I've noticed that when I look at the Windows Task Manager, my CPU usage is never at 0%, even when I have no programs open. It hovers between 15-25% all the time. My computer also seems to function a bit more slowly...whether or not this is related I'm not sure, but thought I'd mention it. Since I don't know much about computers, I didn't want to start experimenting on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I should also mention that I am running Windows XP, service pack 2

Thanks
Peter

Edited by Kosti, 02 March 2007 - 09:09 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The mere fact that Windows is running will need some processor activity, though 15-25% with nothing else open does seem slightly high (mine shows 6-7% under those conditions) though of course it also depends how fast your processor is as to how much percentage is in use.

For a given set of circumstances, a more powerful cpu will show less percentage used than a slower cpu. Mine's a Pentium 4 - 1.5GHz. If yours is more powerful than that, your higher reading could indicate some activity going on "behind your back" such as a malware infection.

A HijackThis log would reveal what, if anything, could be the cause. Go the malware forum and read the "sticky" posts on how to proceed.
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Do a ctrl-alt-delete Keys thing on the keyboard(all three keys at the same time). This brings up your Windows Task Manager. Now look in the processes tab. I personally have 35 programs running with only Firefox open at this time. I also am varying between 0 and 5 % on the CPU there. This computer is my internet computer and is a Athlon 2400. It is quite fast on the internet. It is trimmed down of all bloatware as much as i possibly can do. Perhaps you have a program(or programs) that does a lot of activity( like messenger)that will raise up the CPU usage. I have noticed that XP seems to get slower everytime you update the critical updates. Also the more programs you load on the computer the more you have that will slow it down.

I have the luxury on not having to update most of my computers. They never get on-line so i really dont need any updates, they dont need defender installed, or antiviruses, or any other programs that slow your computer down just to protect it. I also limit my computers to 20 installed programs on each.

You should expect your computer to slow down over time and with added programs. Running defrag more often does help. Uninstalling programs you do not use also helps. You need to think of computers the same as automobiles. The lean and trim sports cars are the fast ones, and the Rolls Royces are large, heavy and slow. They both get the job done but in different ways. You just need to take your pick of which you want.

If you want to look into what may be causing your computer to slow down, i would download Microsoft Process Explorer and learn what does what in your programs.

http://www.microsoft...ssExplorer.mspx

SRX660

Kosti

Kosti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I just did an AVG anti spyware scan (which I hadn't done for about a month and a half)...it found 5 things (all were trackers), and after getting rid of them the CPU usage with firefox open right now is between 2-5 percent. Not sure if that's the reason for it (the spyware scan) but so far so good. If it comes up again I'll post again...thanks for your help