Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatically send "received" emails to diff acct.

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Situation - Township Office - We have 1 email address for the township - Supervisors and secretary have their own email address.

Is is possible that every email that the township gets to the 1 email address can automatically be forwarded to all 3 supervisors without human intervention?

We would also like the opposite to be true. When our secretary sends a reply or generates a new email, we would like her message to automatically go to all supervisors, so that we know how she responded.

Is there a software program that will control this, or a script within Express or Outlook? I am aware that we could type an address in the CC line, but I want this to happen automatically.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, Outlook rules should be able to handle that. I'm not sure about Outlook Express.

Which version of Outlook do you use?

Do you have an Exchange server or just receive the email on a computer?

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
LindaGail, you rock.

Outlook 2003. Just using a single PC for the township needs. Supervisors work from home.
Please explain the steps.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Here's a link that gives a lot of information on rules.

In Outlook, click Tools, Rules and Alerts, New Rule, Start from a blank rule, Check messages when they arrive, Next.

Now you'll determine which messages you want this rule to apply to. In your situation, "Where my name is in the To box" will probably work. Click Next.

Now you'll determine what action the rule will take on the selected messages. "Forward to people or distribution list" should take care of forwarding the email to your supervisors. Be sure they are set up in Outlook Contacts. Once you check that box, the rule pops into the lower area of the screen (Step 2). Click on the underlined "people or distribution list" to open up your Contacts list. Double click all the folks you want to receive the message, then click Next to move to the next screen to set any exceptions.

Click Next to name the rule. There's also a check box there to run the rule now on your inbox. You may or may not want to do that, depening on how many messages there are in the Inbox.

The outgoing rule will be set up very similarly. You'll choose "Check messages after sending". I think the condition that will work for your situation is "through the specified account". Once you check this box, look in the Step 2 box and click the underlined "specified account" to choose your account.

Please post back if you have any issues.