Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with my d drive

• Please log in to reply

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I've just bought some DVD-R disks to save some information yet every time I try to do it I get a message saying windows encountered a problem and it doesn't work. I tried setting the recording speed to 16x as this is what it says on the packet the discs came in to no avail.
The disc drive is working fine otherwise.
I recently installed a genuine copy of windows XP and I know I lost some of my drivers. Could this be my problem or is it something as silly as I've bought the wrong types of disc? I don't know too much about computers but I figured all discs are the same excepy DVD ones hold more info.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You need third-party software to write to DVD discs. The built-in Windows XP CD-writing function does not work with DVD --- it's for CD media only.

Edited by pip22, 03 March 2007 - 02:38 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What you have not said is if you have a DVD-RW drive at all. If you are using the microsoft cd burning utility then you can't burn a DVD anyway, as it cannot do that. You should have some kind of burning software that came with your computer if it has a dvd-rw drive. Check in your device manager, or system info to find out if you even have a dvd-rw drive.

SRX660

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hey guys. I do have a DVD-RW drive but as I said I guess I lost the relevant drivers to make it work properly when I installed XP. Is there a way I can find out exactly what drive I've got and if I can download the correct driver to make it work? I don't have any installation discs.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Pulling the drive is the easist method i know. They are usually marked as to what they are. There are no real drivers for DVD-rw drives. Windows XP usually recognizes them for what they are. What you will really need is some DVD burning software. May i suggest this.

http://www.surplusco...p;item=SWW13452

The only thing i do not install from Nero is the IN CD program. It has caused me problems in the past and its only use is for rewritable disks.

SRX660

peterdavies79

peterdavies79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks, I'll give it a try