Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dowloads freeze

• Please log in to reply

some dude

some dude

• Pip
  • 8 posts
When I click on a dowload link, the window opens up and it starts dowloading. But after a few minutes, the dowload progress will not continue. Eventually, I'll have to close the download. This happens on IE 7 and FireFox. Using Windows XP and a DSL connection. Please help!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you get any error messages at all...

try clicking here
to get ccleaner...this will clean out a lot of useless clutter from your system

get the slim version...its the bottom one

Edited by happyrck, 03 March 2007 - 08:37 AM.

some dude

some dude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I was able to download CCleaner Slim Version and I did all the scans and fixed everything checked, but it didn't help. There are no error messages showing up, the dowload just doesn't progress and the time remaining stops at some position. Also, videos on youtube or any flash video stop loading at some point after it gets starting.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you did download ccleaner so you are able to download some things...what exactly can you not download..
are you trying to save them to disk or open them from the download page..give us links to what your having trouble with..

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
You guys think it may be his/hers ISP? Maybe your on a laptop and your no getting enough or dead zones? What do you guys think?

some dude

some dude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, I was using www.flashload.net to download a video off of youtube (unsuccesfully) and I've tried dowloading other videos and files from other sites (dowload.com) and it has had the same result.
All the dowloads that froze involved larger files (larger than 5 megabits), since CCleaner was a small file, i guess the download probably finished before it had a chance to freeze.
I'm not using a laptop and there's no routers attached either.
I've tried opening and saving to disk and it's had the same effect.

Edited by some dude, 03 March 2007 - 11:29 AM.

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
If it was me, I would call my ISP, and see what they say usually they can run tests and tell you if anything looks suspenses .

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Well, I was using www.flashload.net to download a video off of youtube (unsuccesfully) and I've tried dowloading other videos and files from other sites (dowload.com)

try NOT using flashload or any download manager...just download them normally...it may just be the server where you are trying to download from thats busy..might also want let the download "set" for awhile to see if it will complete..

some dude

some dude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried downloading a file from romhustler.net and nothing changed, it froze at 12 %. I let it run for a while, but nothing changed. Aslo, I did contact my ISP and they informed me that the problem has nothing to do with connection, so it's something with the computer.

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I googled your problem and began to read other peoples problems like this heres one that seems reaonsable:
http://www.anetforum...readIndex=20640

It was a virus with this one, so can you tell us what security you have on your computer?

Also here another link you look at it looks helpful, not sure please take a look:
http://www.computerh...es/ch000839.htm

Edited by Cameron2010, 03 March 2007 - 03:28 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
launch firefox...get site adviser from McAfee...install it and then do a search for romhustler.net ...it will show as a red link...that means it can and will install malware on your computer...run a anti virus an adaware and spybot search and destroy..and have them remove anything they find...you are probably infected...you may want to post a hijackthis log in the malware removal forum located here

Cameron2010

Cameron2010

I LOVE SPAM

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

launch firefox...get site adviser from McAfee...install it and then do a search for romhustler.net ...it will show as a red link...that means it can and will install malware on your computer...run a anti virus an adaware and spybot search and destroy..and have them remove anything they find...you are probably infected...you may want to post a hijackthis log in the malware removal forum located here

No offense why mcafee? That is the worst in my option Norton and Mcafee. Also since he cant download anything, that means he cant get the Advisory, and then why not just tell him to download something like AVG Anti-Spyware from ewido.com and run a full scan so tthen he doesnt haft to post his logs, he can just do it him self and not have us tell him.

You think its a firewall happyrck?

Edited by Cameron2010, 03 March 2007 - 03:38 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
site adviser is NOT the av...it just lets you know if the site your looking to go to is bad or not...follow the link and read for yourself...he can download things ..just not the video files...I do agree that norton and mcafee av are bloatware and should be avoided at all times...mcafee bought out site adviser and its a small..light on your system app that I highly recommend

some dude

some dude

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry for the delay guys. Anyway, I did some spyware search and destroys, but it didn't help. I'm gonna post a hijack this log tomorrow.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I doubt its a firewall issue because he downloaded ccleaner without any problems...