Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card weird lines

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Hi, i'm having a problem with my graphcis card (Club3D 7600gt) where after a while of playing some games I get weird pointy lines and colours showing up. It doesn't happen on all games, so far it's ahppened in Auto Assault and the Dark Messiah demo. I also have problems on other games, for example Half-Life Lost Coast has red error signs at the starting screen and when I try to start the game it crashes. Could it be a heat issue? My card is usually around 65-70c under load. Here's a screenshot from Auto Assault to show you what I mean:
Posted Image

Advertisements

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Here's another screenshot taken when I was playing Medieval II:
Posted Image
:whistling:

AMDAthlon64X2

AMDAthlon64X2

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
70c is HOT.158F. id try cooling it with an extra fan under it. Also if its Overclocked return it to factory speed.

johnthunder

johnthunder

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
The memory on your graphics card is on its way out.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

The memory on your graphics card is on its way out.

Really? Even though it's nearly brand new?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
If it is allmost new then u may have warenty on it.
There is a chance that is a driver. I had a simular situation twice. Once it was the driver. The second 2months later only went away when I got a different graphics card (not the same model)

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

If it is allmost new then u may have warenty on it.
There is a chance that is a driver. I had a simular situation twice. Once it was the driver. The second 2months later only went away when I got a different graphics card (not the same model)

I have the newest driver, should I try installing an older version?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
mozzer11 try the following,
-Double check that the fan is in fact running on your GPU.
-are all the case fan slots full on your case? If not add as many as you can to fill the empty slots.
-Make sure one is set on intake while the other 1 or 2 fans are set on outake.
-If they all are already full try gaming with the side panel off.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 March 2007 - 10:06 PM.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Ok i'll try that. I have a side fan, should be intake or out?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Side cover fan should draw air into the case.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I also have an Nvidia 7600GT, not club3d though. Mine idle now is 43C and only ever hits 46C playing any games I have on my PC. And mine is overclocked from 560 core to 650, and 1400mem to 1600mem. I don't understand why yours is so hot, it must be something to do with a malfunctioning fan, although my last card ran at 70C idle. Another good idea is to try older drivers, I'm currently using the latest drivers on mine but with no problems. If you look for club3d's site they might have drivers for that card that will work better than nvidias ones. Right now anything is worth a test for you I suppose.

Edited by SuperSam, 08 March 2007 - 02:47 PM.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I think one of the major causes of the heat is the fact that my video card sits directly next to the onboard GPU which runs extremely hot. Is there any way to disable the onboard gpu so that it is not powered?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Boot the PC and enter the Setup menu to access the BIOS typically by pressing [F1] or [Del]. Go to the 'Advanced Features’ page and select to 'Disable Onboard VGA’. The wording and location may vary according to your BIOS, but you should be able to find it. Press [F10] to save changes to the BIOS and exit. Your PC should now boot recognising your new graphics card and prompt you to install the new drivers for it in Windows.

Got this from another site. Never done it myself since I have never gotten on a graphics card (only had a family computer, which is about to change). The onboard graphics should always be disabled before you use your graphics card, this could in fact be adding to the stress of the card, once you disable it be sure that you have the most uptodate drivers for the card.
James

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I had the same problem, Its only occuring with Direct3d or Opengl. Please call the graphics card company and have them replace the card. Its the parallel memmory to the GPU processor that has gone bad. The fact that its brand new means that the card is more prone to failure then a stress tested tried and true card, RMA it now.

Some problems cant be fixed, just replaced. :whistling:

Edited by scrushmaster, 09 March 2007 - 05:55 PM.

johnthunder

johnthunder

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Yes even though it is new, its possible the memory can be bad.
Just take it back and get it replaced.