Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or No Connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Aushin

Aushin

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Here's the situation:

We have a comcast cable modem with a Linksys router. We have one desktop and one laptop that work through the router and one desktop and one laptop that continually get "Limited or no connectivity" issues. I have tried just about everything imaginable (exhaustive google searching and testing) and I'm about at my wits end.

Did a virus scan, no virus. Ran the windows connectivity fix, ran winsock xp, updated windows, powercycled the modem countless times, tried different wires, etc. Nothing works.

Please help.

Advertisements

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Additional information:

when we use a different router made by linksys, we are given ip addresses of "192.168.1.1xx" and are told we are "connected." Also, the DNS is listed as 192.168.1.1 which doesn't make sense to me. And we still can't access any pages.

On the other router, for the computers that work we get ipconfig messages of

***IP and Hotname edited out***
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .: 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . .: 68.38.40.1

and dns servers are listed as 68.87.64.146 and 68.87.75.194

Still looking for some feedback...help!!!

Edited by therock247uk, 08 March 2007 - 04:40 PM.
User IP was listed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands... Start.... Run..... type in... CMD ....then click on OK

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults.. type in.... netsh winsock reset catalog then press enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults.. type in....... netsh int ip reset reset.log then press enter
then type in ....exit...press enter...reboot computer

Edited by happyrck, 03 March 2007 - 07:27 PM.

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Okay I did all that. What are we trying to accomplish with this exactly?

Edit: problem still persists

Edited by Aushin, 03 March 2007 - 10:00 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we are trying to get everything back to default..I'm giving you the things that usually fix the problem...there are many things that can cause your problem...we will be doing the easy ones first..I know you said you power cycled your modem but please try it following these instructions exactly...
...go to the control panel on the problem computer...network connections..right click on the LAN or local area connection...then on properties...select internet protocol (TCP/IP) then click on properties...
.be sure there are ticks in the buttons obtain a IP address automatically...also the DNS server...OK your way out ..then To power cycle your computer and modem and router.., please follow the instructions ..

If you have a DSL Modem but no Router:

1. Power Off - PC, ... about 60 seconds...Modem, wait 60 seconds to 3 minutes.
2. Power On - Modem, wait 60 seconds ...then PC

If you have a DSL Modem -and- a Router:

1. Power Off - PC, ..Router...... Modem.... wait 60 seconds
2. Power On - Modem ...wait until all lites are on... Router ...wait until all lites are steady then PC

Edited by happyrck, 04 March 2007 - 08:21 AM.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
What is the model number of the router that doesn't work? When you are properly hooked to a router you should not get a public IP Address, you should get an address in the range of 192.168.1.xx. So either the Router you are trying to hook to is not a router but a switch, or you don't have the cable from your cable modem hooked up to the WAN port on the router.

Edited by cmw2010, 04 March 2007 - 09:45 AM.

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Did your powercycle. Problem persists.

NH1005, V2 is the model number of the Linksys router.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
The NH1005 is a hub not a router, it doesn't have routing capabilities. You need to get a router.

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Okay, regardless...it gets some computers online and not others. What's the deal? Also we used another router (a different model name that i don't know atm) and that wouldn't work either. Telling me "new router should do it" seems a bit too simple. Pardon what might appear to be rudeness it's just confusion.

Edit: also, remember that when i hook the computers STRAIGHT to the modem the issue persists. It can't be a difference between a hub and a router stopping me here.

Edited by Aushin, 05 March 2007 - 02:46 PM.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Have you checked the IP addresses of the two working computers while they are both turned on?

Advertisements

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Yeah they have that strange 68.xxx.xxx.xxx number

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, Aushin. Allow me to put my 2¢ in....

First, have the two limited connectivity computers ever had a good connection with the current equipment? If so, what might have happened to change it?

Have you compared the Network Connection settings between one of the good computers and the bad computers? Especially the TCP/IP Properties.

I would bet the 68.xxx.xxx.xx numbers are the public IP address for your ISP. The 192.xxx.xxx.xx numbers are the internally assigned IPs given by whatever device is acting as DHCP server. Do you know what is acting as DHCP server? Is it one of the computers or your modem?

Is there any difference in the way the two limited connectivity computers are attached to your network?

Do the limited connectivity computers run any different software, particularly Antivirus and/or Firewall?

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Are the last three numbers of the IP address the same on both computers or are they different? Comcast will allow you to pay for up to five seperate IP addresses so that you can have more than one computer connected without a router.

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Hi, Aushin. Allow me to put my 2¢ in....

First, have the two limited connectivity computers ever had a good connection with the current equipment? If so, what might have happened to change it?

Nope this was my first shot at hooking them up to the equipment.

Have you compared the Network Connection settings between one of the good computers and the bad computers? Especially the TCP/IP Properties.

Pretty sure I have, but I didn't notice anything other than the fact that the two that didn't work were sending packets very slowly and receiving absolutely none.

I would bet the 68.xxx.xxx.xx numbers are the public IP address for your ISP. The 192.xxx.xxx.xx numbers are the internally assigned IPs given by whatever device is acting as DHCP server. Do you know what is acting as DHCP server? Is it one of the computers or your modem?

No idea. How would I check?

Is there any difference in the way the two limited connectivity computers are attached to your network?

Nope they've all been using the same modem and hub and the wires have been swapped around numerous times.

Do the limited connectivity computers run any different software, particularly Antivirus and/or Firewall?

Nope, I've made sure to shut down all firewalls on the two laptops and all antivirus as well in an attempt to fix the issue.

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Are the last three numbers of the IP address the same on both computers or are they different? Comcast will allow you to pay for up to five seperate IP addresses so that you can have more than one computer connected without a router.

I'm not sure on this and at the moment there aren't enough ethernet cords to check. I'm pretty sure they both have the same 3 starting numbers in the address.