Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Limited or No Connectivity

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can check the address's by clicking on START...RUN...type in IPCONFIG /ALL
it's the last 3 digits you will be concerned with...192.xxx.xxx.xxx

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Did you try to ping your problem out?

from the command line, type ping 192.168.1.xxx (whichever the IP address is), and try different pings higher up into your network.... You guys say that the linksys is a hub... But then most home products dont behave how commercial products do.. Does your linksys router(, or hub, or whatever it is) have an IP address assigned to it? Finally, if all that works, try to ping a well known website, such as google. ping www.google.com works well.

If any of the pings fail, let me know.

Also, it might be worthwhile to try another network interface card on one of the non-funcional PCs.

Edited by Vaillant, 09 March 2007 - 07:27 PM.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
A hub is a hub, managed or not it does not have routing capabilities, if he has two pc's connected through a hub and both can get online at the same time then he is paying for two IP's from Comcast.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
There can be a hardware problem with the modem/router/hub or whatever there is (frankly, I am not sure I understood what the configuration is) or someything to do with the isp. Try to move the malfanctioning laptop and swap is with the that is working on the good router. If it works well then you know for sure that the problem is not with the computers.

Maybe you could call the technical support of your isp for help.

Aushin

Aushin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
hey i went back to college in the middle of this thread so I really couldn't do any further work on the problem. it's still happening and I'm back home now for a long weekend so I'd like to get cracking at it if you wouldn't mind helping me again.

ask for any details you might need again and use the old posts to catch up with the problem