Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iso of xp home please

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I can't get my hands on my copy of xp home but I need to repair and friend's system which will not boot, all the usual tricks have failed(safemode is out), short of this request is there an iso of the xp system I can boot up on?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
UBCD4WIN is a handy bootable cd that you make for situations like you have...it has a lot of tools to fix systems...read about it and get it here..
http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks happyrck, I will try that out then

just wish to repeat before anyone missunderstands thinking that I am asking for something ilegal, it is not the license nor anything pirated here that I am looking for, I don't have a copy of the cd itself and just want to help someone do a repair here, so I believe there might be a place where can download the iso of the cd since it is not the license

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
could be the mrb so perhaps this link below will do, does not have to be a full copy of xp, is there others ways to solve this problem when the person does not have a copy of her xp but needs to do a repair of system here. for example I have my system running xp now, are there some files and a program that I could copy from here, it is only a repair, repeat safemode does not work, normal boot also not working

http://www.geekstogo...ad-t149942.html

now trying happyrck's tool

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
UBCD4WIN has several registry repair tools..one will put the registry all the way back to original and you will have to reinstall all the updates...so use that one as a last resort...I don't remember the name but it will warn you about what will happen..

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OK folks, I now stand corrected, it turns out that downloading an iso of the xp system is also ilegal, I had thought that it was just obtaining the license which was ilegal, I apologise for having asked then and hope no one will hold it against me since my intentions were compleatly above board.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
UBCD4WIN can repair the windows install that you already have...its not to replace windows ...its not illegal to get or use

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
happyrck, which is the program on UBCH4WIN which one uses, none of them mention XP by name.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
don't have time tonite ..its 11:30 PM my time...in the morning I'll load it and get back to you with more detailed instructions

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
please be patient..I've been up and going since 4:30 AM...got myself kind of buried and behind with things right now...I will post some instructions sometime today though..I just can't do it from memory...gotta load it and make a few notes to post to you.. :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks, there is no rush on this, it is both for an old lady that hasn't got the xpcd (mine went when I switched to linux but she is bound to find someone who will lend her their copy for this repair), and it is also for myself when someone posts here to say that their system won't boot but they too don't have the xpcd, it is nice as now I will be able to offer them a simple program that restores the system files from boot without suggesting finding a friend that has the xpcd, no rush at all and thanks for it

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

when someone posts here to say that their system won't boot but they too don't have the xpcd, it is nice as now I will be able to offer them a simple program that restores the system files from boot without suggesting finding a friend that has the xpcd, no rush at all and thanks for it

this is NOT a simple program..and in the hands of someone that isn't knowledgeable. they can reek havoc with their system...I was going to give you the instructions thinking you would be doing the repair yourself...
I have also been advised, by one of the Moderators whose opinion I respect, that even though he too loves this program that posting the instructions may cause more harm than good...I fear that he may be right..if you are still insistent I will PM the instructions to you...hope you understand...

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
thanks I will pm you because of my own interest to use it, but I am now looking at the idea of using a bootable dos cd and the following line, let me know what you think
those lines being:
cd \windows\system32\config
ren system system.bad
copy \windows\repair\system

Then there is Microsoft's lengthy fix but forget about it using it on an oem system(and the poster is unlikely to know if their system is oem)as every step forward you get knocked back two because of hash checks in logons, the product key, and other security hashes.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

anyway the idea remains to be able of offer something when someone wants to do a repair and hasn't been given the xpcd when they bought their computer

Edited by fleamailman, 07 March 2007 - 08:00 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
might want to look here
Create a Windows CD for PCs That Don't Have One...click here