Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting a Laptop HD to a Desktop.

• Please log in to reply

CrimsonThunder

CrimsonThunder

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, the problem is my laptop died and I have all my files on that HD. I asked a friend what I should do he told me to buy a 2.5" to 3.5" HD converter because he says Laptops HDs are 2.5" and Desktops are 3.5". So I bought that and I tried it out but didnt get anywhere. (I don't know if that is correct either)

When I plug the converter into the Laptop HD there is still 4 little spikes that arn't plugged into it, is that right? Those 4 are in their own little area.

And then I get stuck trying to put it inside the Desktop, there is this white part on the connector, I'm not very good at describing it and I dont know what it is, so I'll post a pic.

Posted Image

There is a thing inside the Desktop that plugs in there, is that necessary? And does it matter which one I choose?

There is also a black thing inside that plugs right next to the white one. Does it matter which one I use there? Are they linked together at all?

And then after all thats done I turned my computer on and nothing had changed. I looked for new hardware and nothing was found. I didn't receive any software when I purchased the converter, maybe I need to download some? Or did I do something wrong?

Thanks to anyone that can help. :whistling:

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
The white thing on a converter is called a Molex plug socket, and that does take one of those white plugs you were talking about, and no it doesn't matter which one is used.

Example of plug:
Posted Image

The black plug next to it will need an IDE cable, it's likely your hard drive that is already in the computer has this plugged into it. It probably is a double connector IDE cable, you will have to use one from this for the laptop HD converter.

Example of plug:
Posted Image

The extra 4 pins that remain on the laptop hard drive for the converter don't matter if they aren't plugged in.

When the computer is on, just look for the drive in My Computer. If it doesn't come up, take your original PC 3.5" hard drive OUT, and there will be some jumpers on there, if you set that as "Cable Select" and plug it back in they will both come up, if they don't, change the jumpers (if it has any) on the laptop converter drive to "Cable Select" too.

Example of jumper:

Posted Image

Post back if you are unclear on anything.

Edited by SuperSam, 04 March 2007 - 11:34 AM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

The white thing on a converter is called a Molex plug socket, and that does take one of those white plugs you were talking about, and no it doesn't matter which one is used.

Example of plug:
Posted Image

The black plug next to it will need an IDE cable, it's likely your hard drive that is already in the computer has this plugged into it. It probably is a double connector IDE cable, you will have to use one from this for the laptop HD converter.

Example of plug:
Posted Image

The extra 4 pins that remain on the laptop hard drive for the converter don't matter if they aren't plugged in.

When the computer is on, just look for the drive in My Computer. If it doesn't come up, take your original PC 3.5" hard drive OUT, and there will be some jumpers on there, if you set that as "Cable Select" and plug it back in they will both come up, if they don't, change the jumpers (if it has any) on the laptop converter drive to "Cable Select" too.

Example of jumper:

Posted Image

Post back if you are unclear on anything.

your forgeting that on some laptop hdd's (my toshiba brand hdd) you have to have a piece of wire wrapped around 2 of the 4 pins to make it a slave