Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

norms corner

norms corner

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
What happens when the system restore feature on my windows XP just fails to function? It stated some 9 months ago... I thought maybe it was because I installed Adobe 8. There is NO reason given for not functioning but simply a message that comeson stating that the system cannot be restored to the date that I wanted :whistling:

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
restore points are linked...so if one is bad ..all are bad...

1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
System Restore will now be active again.
create a new restore point...name it test
then try restoring your computer to the test configuration
let us know if it fails

norms corner

norms corner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
To : Happyrck

I am not sure if this is how I respond to your answwer or not.. Anyway.. I did do what you recommended concerning the "system restore"..... Not clear though on the last lines of YOUR second paragraph. I did not type in JUST...... TEST..... I typed in: February 15, 2007 TEST........ Then THIS TIME... when I restarted the computer, it said that I was SUCCESSFULLY restored to : March 4, 2007
February 15, 2007 TEST
times, etc on this line

But when I went to restore, it did not go back to February 15th 2007 but I think it was just to March 4, 2007(which is today's date)... not sure on this though

Norm

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thats what it was supposed to do...when you create a restore point...restore automatically adds the date and time that you created the restore point...you can't name it a different date and have it go back there...when you turned off restore all the old non working RP were deleted ...now every time you add a new app a restore point will be created for you...if at some later point in time your system starts having problems you can go back to a time before you had the problem....when you look at the calender.. any date in bold has a restore point ...sometimes several if on that day you installed several programs

norms corner

norms corner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Again thanks.. AND thanks for the explanation.. that explanation means a lot to me. Norm

ferret07

ferret07

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:whistling: I too have a 'restore' problem. All the 'stuff' happened yesterday after turning off to
clean the inside. The only 'restore' I could do was 3/4/07, but yuk was happening then. I need to at least be
able to go back to last week. Also, when I turned my pooter back on after cleaning, I have no sound, no printer (and cannot reinstall it because error msg says 'spooler svs' not available or something like that), my Device Manager shows zilch...I have no hardware showing at all. Other than that, and the usual freeze up and slowness...all is working as usual. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm using XP and Ent 7 was last download, and a newer Adobe version. I can't figure it.

Maybe my 'pooter' just misses that 3 lbs of West Tx dirt I removed from it.
Carol

syb388

syb388

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
if i have norton goback installed is there any reason to (or not to) have system restore enabled?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to ferret07..you need to start your own thread its hard to work two problems in one thread..start your own and PM me with a link to it and I will help you...

to syb388you can try goback...it works but is painfully slow...I had it and removed it several years ago...system restore works for small problems..I use different backup strategies now

Edited by happyrck, 06 March 2007 - 01:27 AM.

syb388

syb388

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
i have nsw 2006 and based on experiance i would say its even faster, and you have advanced options where you can view the state of the restore before restoring and can restore an files created after the restore point. you can also create a virtual drive at any of the restore points, im not sure but i dont think xp rstore does that.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to syb388 you also need to start your own thread...

to norms corner your welcome...but please use the thread tools to mark this thread solved
:whistling: