Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop will not boot

• Please log in to reply

Dice-

Dice-

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone

Recently my brother's laptop would not load Windows xp. Usually we would press the power button and it would load a Compaq screen and then load windows xp loading screen. But now it would not load anything; it would just be a blank screen. I have tried putting in restore disks but it seemed to not work. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Are you powering it from the battery or AC? If you shine a flashlight across the LCD screen can you make out the desktop when you hit the power button? Do you hear the fan start? Is it still under warranty?

Dice-

Dice-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi whiskeyman

I have it plugged in through ac adapter. I dont think its a lighting problem; once in awhile it will load " Compaq " and then display a list of features on my laptop like : Display adapter: shadowed and stuff; I can't get the full list, it seems to show once in awhile. I'm trying to get my recovery disks to work, but it freezes up when the menu appears. The fans seem to be working correctly; the cd drive is making a strange clicking noise; and the light on the bottom of the open button on the cd drive is blinking. ONce in awhile it would load the screen where you have the option to " start windows normally" and stuff, but it freezes like the computer has a mind of its own. Thanks in advance.

My laptop is
Compaq 2500 presario
pentium 4 processor; 2.8ghz
448mb ram
radeon igp 345m (64mb)

Edited by Dice-, 04 March 2007 - 10:54 PM.