Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet speed is SLOW

• Please log in to reply

biggam

biggam

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Internet speed is SLOW

Hi

I am with talktalk broadband and supposed to be getting 8mb connection speedtests show me i am getting 0.5mb I've phoned them up consistantly and apparently problem is from my end? was wondering if there I could get any help.

Thank You

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
My first thought was the cabling on the outside of the house. In particular, do you have any splitters out there? Awhile back I was experiencing slowness and getting disconected. The cable tech came out and I explained what was going on. He went right to a splitter on the outside of the house. He replaced it and cut and crimped new fittings on the cables running into it. Worked great after he was done.

8 months later.....I have Vonage (voip) and its been acting up lately. I have 4 cables running into my house. So I moved the modem to one of the other cables and the phone sounds better.

Are you using a modem and a router or just a modem?

biggam

biggam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
i've got a modem huawei smartAX MT882 connected through ethernet cable

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
if you go to: start>control panel>Network Connections and double click on Local Area Connection, what speed does it indicate?

Edited by macten, 04 March 2007 - 03:38 PM.

biggam

biggam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
100.0 Mbps

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
About all I can do is direct you to a couple of websites. The one site says that it could be your physical cable or network card or possibly in the Registry: (click on the link at this website and it will take you to a site where it talks about a Registry tweak you can do)

It talks about modifying your TCP Receive Window size. Something I've never done but I'm going to try it on one of my pc's and see if it makes any difference.

http://www.duxcw.com...work/slowbb.htm

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I am with talktalk broadband and supposed to be getting 8mb connection speedtests show me i am getting 0.5mb I've phoned them up consistantly and apparently problem is from my end? was wondering if there I could get any help.

Read your T&Cs again.
You'll probably find that you've got a package that is described as up to 8megs, and doesn't categorically state that you will be receiving 8megs. In fact it says as much on the Talktalk website. Therefore there is nothing wrong, your line can't support 8Meg.

The speed of your connection is determined by how far away you live from the exchange. 8Meg isn't all that common, speeds of 2Mb, 1Mb and even 512k are far more common.

If you're on the new generation broadband then it auto sets itself up to a speed that your line can cope with. Therefore if its settled at 512, then on that occasion it can't go any faster. The only real solution to this is to either replace all the internal wiring (with no guarantees) or move closer to the local exchange for faster speeds.