Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003 stoppped functioning in Vista Business

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I wanted to start using my Vista business notebook for all my Outlook duties. I use all the features of Outlook (email (several accts) tasks, notes, calendar).

On my desktop, all is well.

I installed Office 2003 on the notebook and transferrred my outlook files to my (dave;appdata;local;microsoft;outlook folder. I opened Outlook and all was well. I entered my email settings and everything worked fine; for about 48 hours.

Now, my email does not download, when I try to open my email acct settings, i get a message "This operation failed due to an installation or registry problem, restart, and if it doesn't work , reinstall". if I try to add a task I get, "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error, please restart." if I try to save a calendar item, it says the folder has been moved or deleted or I don't have permission - then asks if I want to save to the default folder. If I say yes, i get the same "messaging interface" error.

I have run the "Outlook repair tool" on all my personal folders. One folder had a couple issues. it was a hotmail folder. I have deleted all my files from the location previously mentioned and uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook. As soon as I open outlook it says it can not find my folders and won't open unless they are in place. As soon as I copy the folders over, all the issues still exists.

So, where are the settings located, telling Outlook to find these folders. If it has been uninstalled, I hoped it would not remember my personal files. I can not open anythings under tools to find a storage location.

Any Ideas? I really need all the features of Outlook, but if we can not find a solution, please give me an alternative to Outlook. The new Windows Mail feature in Vista is OK, but it is not "All-in-One" like Outlook.

Advertisements

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
OK - I found a fix. I went into control panel and "Mail". Create a new profile. When creating profile tell Outlook to "ask" which profile to open. Now when I click on Outlook it asks which profile to open, I opened the new profile then transferred all my old personal files to the new profile. All is good. I hope this helps someone else.