Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Exploded power supply

• Please log in to reply

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey. I was carrying my computer upstairs today after doing some tests regarding ethernet leads today, and must have knocked that red switch on the power supply. After plugging my computer in, there was a loud explosion and now my computer won't work at all. I tried changing the power supply but that didnt work either. Do I need to buy everything new or will just one component be fried?

Also, could it be the power cable?

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Ut oh.. I am looking at motherboard damage. Is there any burnt or bulged capaciators or burnt marks on the mobo?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
try a different outlet, if it still doesnt work. id say it took your MoBo out, if your lucky it might not have taken out you cpu and other parts

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey, looks like I've been really lucky, everythings working o.k now, I just had to change the power supply and the cable. I tried changing the PSU before but it must have been the fuse in the plug that had blown. Only thing is the PSU I've changed to has no SATA power connector. Have to go back to my old IDE drive I suppose.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-Thomascoote [Exploded Power Supply] 4th MAR-2007

Yeah – Pretty lucky – Where was this fuse –

it must have been the fuse in the plug that had blown.

– Were you using Fused Power Strip – Usually if Power Supply had a fuse it would have been part of the supply itself – Just curious – For future references -

Only thing is the PSU I've changed to has no SATA power connector. Have to go back to my old IDE drive I suppose.

You could purchase an Adapter Cable - http://www.directron...er.html#caption
I know you are posting from UK – but this link should give you some info to search for in UK – See photo –

Cheers –
Jack123

Adapter Photo - 01_4_pin_IDE_to_15_pin_SATA_Adapterjpg.jpg

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey, I found an adapter last night bundled in my motherboard box, so I've got my SATA drive running again. The fuse that had blown was in the plug, I changed the cable (because I had a spare one from my old PSU) and tried that in the PSU that exploded..... well it exploded again lol, with more smoke and another loud bang. After that I gave up and decided the PSU was for the bin, but then I had two power leads with blown fuses, so I took the fuse from an old DVD player and replaced the blown one. I've gone back to my old PSU for good now, I dont need a really good one, only reason I bought it was because it had a SATA connector and I didnt know about the adapters.

Lol, what a great day I had yesterday :whistling: