Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice-Suggestions needed regarding OS

• Please log in to reply

Soulja

Soulja

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
So I've spent all this money to upgrade my computer and I was expecting to just use my reinstallation CD from Dell to install XP. Several friends and a very unhelpful rep at Microsoft told me I was SOL because the Dell disk will only work with Dell hardware. This would have been ok had I not decided to buy all my new hardware minus the Dell seal of approval. So now I have a useless copy of XP that I cannot install on my rebuilt PC.

So what do I do? I can't afford to just drop $150 on a new copy of XP, and part of me says if I AM going to spend the money I may as well go with Vista. But I'm weary of using a new OS just because of stability and reliability issues that may present themselves with a new OS.

I guess my real question is what is my cheapest alternative other than buying a yard sale copy of XP or going on ebay only to pay $50 for an XP disc that turns out to be some BS copy that I could have stole myself if I wanted an illegal version?

Is there a work around for the Dell OS? I've had people tell me that I can call Dell and Microsoft and they will get me a new CD key, but neither one seems to want to offer it when I do call!

I'm lost!!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Well the hard part isn't the CD itself, it's just a piece of plastic that costs a dollar or so to make. The hard part is getting a product key or license that will work with it. And hasn't been used on fourteen other computers so that Microsoft won't validate it. So you best bet if you find a generic disc is to get a product key from microsoft, or to get the software still sealed in the shrinkwrap unused. You may be able to use the Dell disk to install if your motherboard is similar to Dell such as all Intel but you will still need a valid key.

Depending on what you are doing there are other operatings systems which are completely free but a lot more trouble to set up, again depending on your requirements, and plenty of people use them including me.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I think the OEM versions on tigerdirect.com and newegg.com are down to like $80 now that vista has came out.

If you are really looking into a alternate OS you should definatly look into FreeBSD. It won't cost you anything and it is more reliable than Windows.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your friends were right...the dell disk is useless (especially if you formatted your hard drive)...the dell disks (at least in recent years) actually just initiates an internal recovery system that's stored on a hidden partition on your hard drive that contains all the info to return the system to factory defaults...if you change/format the hard drive...then this partition is gone...also USUALLY this partition/program/whatever looks to make sure that the motherboard is the same as the original...so if you've changed the MOBO...it's a nogo (how bout that rhyme? eh? anybody?)

your ONLY option is to get a legal OS...be that linux (free) or windows (obviously not free)....

IF (and only IF) your PC has a COA sticker on the side of the PC...you can borrow an XP disk of the same type (the sticker and disk will say if it's OEM or retail or what) you might be able to reinstall windows with that and have it work...

Soulja

Soulja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yeah I found the COA and a "real" key on the sticker. A buddy of mine tells me he's been successful several times around using his old Dell key when he's upgraded, but only when he had a COA key. I'm going to go with that and hope it works.

On the notion it doesn't work, do any of these alternative OS support Windows based software? I'm actually more worried about all the programs and games I run. Photoshop, Vegas, Madden (LOL) etc..

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Don't be surprised if you have to call Microsoft to activate Windows. Don't worry, I have done it more than a few times, it doesn't take to long.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The only programs that you will have trouble finding for linux or freebsd are games.