Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm trying to set up a wired router...

• Please log in to reply

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Just trying to leech internet from the desktop. I've tried to set up wireless for the past 6 months, but that didn't work, even though I had a perfectly fine wireless connection before that. I found a router on eBay that was compatible with my ISP but it was a wired, rather than wireless router. Since I can't really afford to spend another £50 on making my wireless work (I've probably spent over £200 on top of buying a laptop >.>), I was wondering how to set up a wired router...

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Setting up the hardware part is simple, you just plug the cables in correctly. Configuring it depends up the type of router and the type of service you have. What you basicaly need to do is go to the router's "home page" using one of your computers and provide it with the infromation it needs to make the right connection. If you don't have the user manual for the router you can usually download that information from the maker's website.

Edited by Tyger, 04 March 2007 - 02:49 PM.

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I don't really feel like troubleshooting at the moment, but I'll say this much: Not even the DSL switch on my wired routers would work. I think I'll try to sort it out with Netgear, but it's always a pain to have to phone them and I doubt a tech guy would come and help set it up.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you give a model number for your router and modem?
describe the physical setup? (what plugs into what)
what have you already tried?
the more info you give...the better the answers will be

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I've tried... everything.

I bought a router and wireless card set up after achieving good results in the SATs (America Grade 8). This didn't work until a friend came by and troubleshooted it. Then my network went down for a few months and I got it working again when another friend came around to the house. The next time that friend came by, my parents called me down for dinner. Being the obnoxious prig that I am, I slammed shut my laptop case and put it down on my bed. Since I wasn't being careful, it slid onto the floor and landed on the network card, breaking the card and the slot.

I tried buying a new card, but that didn't work because my case was broken. I tried to open the case with some miniature screwdrivers I bought, but that just caused these two weird lines to appear on the monitor. I swapped the card for a USB wireless receiver, which promptly broke along with the USB slots... I have broken a USB stick and a webcam in those USB slots in my laptop. My original router had it's antennae broken.

Then I tried to buy a router, but instead I bought a WAP. I didn't realise this for several months and tried to set it up as a router for _ages_. When I did so, I realised that neither my card or USB slots would work for routing, so I tried using a WAP to receive the signal. Since I didn't have a router either, my parents eventually bought a Cable and Wireless one, which wasn't compatible with my ISP. I tried to set it up anyway, to no avail. (I love the phrase "to no avail" ^_^) Then I saw a router that was listed as supported and compatible with my ISP (AOL 9.suck)... It turned out it was a wired one. I tried to join netgear.com to ask if I could buy an antennae or if I'd have to buy a whole new router and they said that my serial was not valid, so I can't register.

I've probably been troubleshooting my wireless (on and off) for about a year now.

My options at the moment are:

1.Convincing my parents to change ISP

Pros:Sounds very selfish, but AOL are overcharging us about £9 anyway, so it's actually economical.

Cons: Perfect opportunity for my parents to cancel our internet subscription, as they always threaten.

2. Buying the same router I had before.

Pros: It was the only router I've ever been able to use to get a wireless connection.

Cons: Will probably make the amount of money I've spent on trying to get a wireless connection total £300. Will probably not even work. Will take away any chance of receiving my birthday presents. (I was 16 on January the 5th).

=p

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Well...If your case is cracked and you've tried to take it apart and hosed the display, I don't think we have much of a baseline here. If only your parents hadn't called you to dinner...:whistling:

You may have damaged the system board in your laptop.

Edited by 98springer, 14 March 2007 - 09:16 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
agreed.....with everything you described i'm surprised that the computer is running....it sounds like you don't have a single working port to plug anything into anyway

gamerunknown

gamerunknown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ethernet is about it. The USB ports function to an extent and I assume that the wireless card one might too...

The laptop didn't actually take that much damage... Surprising, for how it's treated. I would love it so if it could just bear the joys of the internet though.

The display just has two lines running across it, not very far across (I'm not sure how big pixels are, but I'd say about 1 pixel >_>). It just becomes annoying when ya watch a full screen DVD. I think that was either caused by me opening the case, which I've always wanted to do, or my brother attacking it in some way. Before, if I just pushed on the back of the monitor, they'd go away for a long time. That doesn't work any more and I don't want to make it worse, so I just ignore it.

Any tips for fixing the monitor or somehow getting internets?

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
"Any tips for fixing the monitor or somehow getting internets?"

Take it to an authorized service provider. Seriously. There are too many variables for remote support.

Good Luck. :whistling: