Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not start

• Please log in to reply

TURKISH

TURKISH

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
:tazz: My computer would not start, a black screen, no life what so ever. Its been running for over 18 mths trouble free. Tried everything but in the end had to purchase a new mother board and CPU. Asus A7V8X an AMD 2800 Sempron.The problem now is that the computer will boot but I am unable to get into Win Xp. I have 2 HDD one 40GB and one 60GB. I have formatted the the 40GB and tried to load Win XP, disconnecing the 60GB first. 40GB is now the C drive. The installation goes as far as the formating stage and loading of files then reboots and goes through the whole process again. I have disconnected all the cards, CD, DVD drives to try and start the 60GB HDD but all this does is reboot its self before reaching the XP logo. I have been 3 weeks trying to get this fixed including 3 visits to computer shops who are as baffled a me. Can you please help me.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
check the bios and assure it is set up properly. The documentation that came with the motherboard should tell you how to do this. Try setting up initially with bare minimum, one cd or dvd to load windows (boot to cd should be fist boot option), one stick of ram, one hard drive, and floppy if you have one. Make sure you have loaded all of the drivers. You should have a cd that came with the motherboard with drivers on it. Once you have done that, put the windows install cd in the cd/dvd drive, power down and then cold boot. Then try loading windows again. When windows loads, does it ask for any drivers that it can't find? If you are using SATA or RAID, you will need to have the necessary drivers on a floppy to load by pressing f6.

The long and short of it, if the above doesn't work, take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a non-conductive surface like cardboard with the bare minimum compontents connected and try again. Could be a short if the motherboard was not properly installed.

When you post back, include your full system specs including the power supply make and voltate/amps as specified on the side of the power supply. This data will make it easier for folks to assist you further.

TURKISH

TURKISH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks Austin for the reply.
Have tried the suggestions but unfortunately there is no further response. A couple of other items that may help towards resolving this are
1. On the 60GB HDD when I try to start up in safe modethe error message reads
Set up cannot load the keyboard layout file KBDUS.DLL
Set up cannot continue shut down or restart.

When I go into the 60GB when trying to install/repair WIN XP the display only shows 'partition1 NTFS 22406MB Free' it does not show WIN XP for repair
Windows cannot regonise the partition!!!!

I have a 350W PSU model 200XA, ATX 2.03 P4
Amp at +5 20A

BIOS READS the RAM OK and all other attachments.

Have not loaded the motherboard CD, can I do it from the dos prompt??
Once again thanks

israel_guy

israel_guy

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well, Did you try to re-install the Windows, Repair it? Check the RAM Memory, I had a similar problem in the past

TURKISH

TURKISH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
When i try to reinstall or repair the main 60GB HDD all I get is the error previously noted, keyboard layout file KBDUS.dll and with the 40 GB HDD it reboots after loading the setup files and then starts the installation all over again.

Yes I did check the RAM, the Motherboard has run ok on another computer, the cards have all been removed except the graphics card the DVDs have been disconnected. Bare bones i all that was left and still it reacts a above.

Any ideas????????????

Just tried the link http://www.digitalwe...w_boot_toot.htm
THIS id not work

TURKISH

TURKISH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Other specification
Internal Modem 56K
USB board 4 external ports 2 internal
Pioneer DVD RW/R+
MSI DVD ROM
Floppy Drive
60GB HDD IBM
40GB HDD MAXTOR
New 2800 AMD SEMPRON
1GB DDRRAM in 2 slots 512 each
Windows XP Professional
New Tower Frisby Multimedia
New ASUS A7V8X-X Motherboard

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, let's back up for a second.

Assumption (my part)
40gb drive is formatted and blank
60gb is old windows install and still has data. You want to keep this data.

You will not be able to simple repair windows on 60gb to run on new motherboard...you can sometimes, but in the long run, it's more of a headache than its worth.

So, with the 40gb, you are trying a fresh install. and it is failing

You said:

installation goes as far as the formating stage and loading of files then reboots and goes through the whole process again...

When loading files, do you mean COPY files to the drive for installation, or do you mean LOADING drivers for the first part of the install?

They could be two different problems.

Assuming it is the second, and not the first, do you have either of the following USB mouse, or USB keyboard?

If so, remove them and use a ps2 mouse and ps2 keyboard

If it is the first have you tried putting the 40gb in a different computer and wiping it out, then repartitioning and reformatting?

TURKISH

TURKISH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks Gerry

I think it best at the moment to try to reinstall WIN XP into the 40GB HDD as I hope to be able to access the 60GB through this HDD.

Yes I did have a USB Mouse and have removed this now and replaced with PS2 changed the BIOS accordingly. Keyboard PS2.
1.Windows is checking your hardware configiration
2.The setup will load the files, it then says 'Set up is starting windows, next it says
3.Welcome to Setup and then I select new installation this takes me to the partions. I select one of the two I have. ( I have a unpartioned space of 8M which I believe is for Windows)
4.It then tells me I have chosen to install on a partition that contains another operating system.
5.Installing WINXP on this partition might cause the other operation to function improperly.
6.But I go ahead as I know this is another windowsXP I tried previously to load.
7.Then I go to format in NTFS
8.It then formats, copies files, reconfigures WIndows and then the computer tells me
9.it will restart and continue the installation which it doesn't.
It continues to go through set up again starting at number 1.. it does say NO EMULATION BEFORE doing this.
Sorry about this but I am pulling my hair out and the wife is starting to go bonkers as well, with me!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok.....let's try two things...easy one first.

Boot with a windows 98 boot disk and use fdisk to remove the partitions, then use windows xp cd to create a partition and full format (not fast).

If that does not work, we will try to debug the harddrive.

What was on this drive originally? Is this a factory installed drive from some name brand computer (HP, compaq)?

TURKISH

TURKISH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the info, have tried this and can confirm all went well but Windows XP does not continue loading it goes around in a vicious circle wanting to reload it all again.
Anyway took the HDD 40GB down to the computer shop to format and try reloading the windowsXP software and guess what it worked. Took it back home and tried it on my computer and guess what it did not work. Works on another computer but not on mine.So the HDD is OK.
Must be the Motherboard, something is wrong there.
Have emailed Asus with the problem and hope to get a response back from soon, will let you know how I get on.
Thanks Gerry

TURKISH

TURKISH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Just to let you know what happened in the end.

Changed the new motherboard and CPU, this failed again. In the end had to buy a Pentium 4 3000GHZ and Gigabyte 2004RZ Motherboard. Installed them and everything went fine.

By the way Im an expat in Turkey and AMD is not the flavour of the month over here. Pentium controls 99.9% of the market.

Edited by TURKISH, 30 April 2005 - 12:53 AM.