Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad Image?

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hi. Windows Vista keeps telling me that I have a "Bad Image". What that is, I don't know. Um, take a look...

Posted Image

That messages keeps randomly appearing every hour or so. I have no idea why, or what it means.

Can anybody help get rid of it at all? It's really irritating me.

:whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi o2mcgovem...

Click the Start button. From the Start Menu, click "All Programs" and then click "Accessories". In the Accessories menu, right click on the "Command Prompt" option. From the drop down menu, click on the "Run as administrator" option.

If you have the User Account Control (UAC) enabled you will be asked for authorization prior to the command prompt opening. You may simply need to press the Continue button if you are the administrator or insert the administrator password etc.

In the Command Prompt window, type: sfc /scannow and then press "Enter". A message will appear stating that "the system scan will begin". Be patient because the scan may take quite some time. If any files require replacing SFC will replace them. You may be asked to insert your Vista DVD for this process to continue.

If everything is as it should be, you should, after the scan, see the following message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

After the scan has completed, close the command prompt window. Let us know if this eliminates the error message.

wannabe1

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
It's running right now. I'll post back.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Hey wannabe1,

It reported that "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations", and it still comes up.

Argh. :whistling:

What now? :S

Edited by o2mcgovem, 05 March 2007 - 03:38 PM.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
can't it be because of vista backup utility, check it out, may be there is a scheduled system backup(some sort of system restore) adjusted, and it doesn't work properly.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Good idea, I didn't think of that.

Um, Backup and Restore Centre says that automatic backup is turned on, and the last backup was sucessful and the next backup is scheduled for Friday. System restore looks okay, but I don't really know what I should be looking for.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Some of the software in Windows is installed by copying an image file to the disk, in fact most of the initial installation is done in this way. The individual images are checked by making a "hash" and checking it against a made up listing of all the file hashes. This message means that a least one of the files did not match with the table so either the file or the listing is incorrect. This sort of failure is most common for downloaded disks which may have errors caused by lost or corrupted packets.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Good idea, I didn't think of that.

Um, Backup and Restore Centre says that automatic backup is turned on, and the last backup was sucessful and the next backup is scheduled for Friday. System restore looks okay, but I don't really know what I should be looking for.

hmm, try to disable all backup task and see what will happen. and i'd advice not to use windows backup utility, may be some of the 3d party software, for example true image, the best backup software for now IMO.

o2mcgovem

o2mcgovem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Okay, well I disabled the Windows backup and it still appeared. So I switched it back on the other day to keep my computer safe.

I don't know what else to do. :S