Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Single VOB has different aspect ratio then complete dvd

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

A question;
When I play a single VOB from a DVD, in this case with CyberLink PowerDVD 5, I get a normal widescreen / letterbox image with the black vertical bars.
When I burn the complete DVD which this VOB is a part of and play that DVD the aspect ratio has changed; The screen is streched out and the black bars are gone giving the actors that long face look.

The dvd plays allright in a home DVD player and a widescreen tv but can anyone tell me why the screen is stretched on my computerscreen?

(ps there is nu menu on the DVD)

Can I correct this somehow?

TIA

Webslinger

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Try hitting the F11 key or alt + enter so it opens in full screen. That works for me.

Edited by Tyger, 04 March 2007 - 03:57 PM.

Webslinger

Webslinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sorry, it's not as simple as that...
It's really stretched, even in fullscreen.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might want to use GSpot to check both files to see what is different. Sounds like maybe your encoder isn't preserving the pixel aspect ratio.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Play the file on your computer, expand it to full screen, right click on the video and make sure "Keep aspect ratio" is checked.

Webslinger

Webslinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sorry, "Keep Aspect Ratio" is / was checked, no go.

I've checked it again;
If I play the VOB's directly (from the DVD) they play in widescreen, but as soon as I let the DVD play normally it switches to 4:3.
I've checked the information button when playing a VOB directly and playing the DVD 'normally' and when the VOB is playing the information states the AR is 16:9 when the same video plays via the normal way it states it's 4:3. BUT IT'S THE SAME VIDEO!

I'm no wizz in editing, but could one of the other files (other then the VOB's) give foulty AR settings to the DVD? Could I change this somehow?

Hope you can and will help.

TIA

Webslinger

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One question that comes to mind is when you are burning the DVD are you saving an image of it and burning the image to disk? DVDs have a pixel aspect ratio so the pixels are elongated which is why they are 16:9. If the pixel aspect ratiio info is lost they will be 4:3. Also you say the "normal way"? What player are you using, some do better with VOB/mpeg2 than others and of course you need the correct codecs for them.

Webslinger

Webslinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
What I mean when I say "the normal way" is playing the DVD with the same program (CyberLink PowerDVD 5) but letting it autostart on inserting the DVD and not selecting the individual VOB's.

So the same program is giving the video a different AR.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
That means when you play it the normal way the player is accessing additional information from another file that is on the disk, when you access the vob directly that info isn't found,

Webslinger

Webslinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you, that's what I thought.

Any thoughts on which file provides this info and if there is a simple way to modify this data?