Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RUNDLL Error message

• Please log in to reply

myddlemarch

myddlemarch

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Please could someone tell me if the following is a virus and how I should deal with it?

This message appears when windows has started up:

RUNDLL
Error loading c:\windows\system32\wqpbybpt.dll
The specified module could not be found.

I can't locate this anywhere on my pc or the windows xp disc and don't know what it is.

Be very grateful for any help.

Thanks.

Advertisements

techie4fun

techie4fun

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hey :whistling:

I think that maybe an important system file has gone bad... I don't think its a virus. I've seen this happen in many cases, but I think its an issue with the operating system file system. Unless your computer isn't booting and still works, you should see what other people have to say before we make the final conclusion.

Edited by techie4fun, 04 March 2007 - 04:42 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Yes, that is the sign of an infection. Please do the following.

Read this;

You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Required steps before posting your log.

Then post a HJT log here;

Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

Edited by Whiskeyman, 04 March 2007 - 06:21 PM.

myddlemarch

myddlemarch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the replies.

I'm not sure if I did right, but I ran the hijack programme and found the offending file in the list that came up. I then clicked the check box and followed the instructions given.

Now it's gone and doesn't appear when I log on to Windows.

That was, maybe, an unorthodox way of dealing with the issue but it appears to have worked.

Thanks, again.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
That wasn't the proper way of taking care of your problem. There are probably more problems that you cannot see and without a trained eye you would not be able to remove the infection. That is why we have experts here trained to use HijackThis and help you remove your infections.