Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no internet explorer

• Please log in to reply

mond

mond

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
anyone know why I can only access internet through msn? when I start internet explorer I get the message......internet explorer cannot display the webpage! If I cannot get inernet then why can I get msn?

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Have you recently updated to IE7 or WMP11?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What is your home page set to? If it's set to a page that is no longer on the web you will get that message. MSN uses IE to display pages. You might want to try Firefox which works very well and is an independant browser.

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have not updated anything that I am aware of unless its automatic updates?
My home page is still set on the naims home page but even if I type in an address or click on one of the favourites the pesky "cannot show web page" message appears!)
Once I am in msn I can go anywhere but I find it strange as I dont particallarly want to always surf on msn although its no great hardship.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Check to see which version of IE and WMP you have. It would help us with your problem knowing the versions and if they did install. You could look in Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs to see if they are listed.

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello again,

If by IE7 You mean windows internet explorer 7 then yes I have got it - but have done for some time.
I have had some automatic updates lately by I didnt pay much attention to what it was.
Also I have been using emergency dial up via v21 for a while but have changed back to broadband.
Dont know if this is relevent as cant show web page shows up when I switch back to dial up as well!
Have to first log in to msn even to come to this site!
P.s It looks like it is searching before message shows and the correct page shows up in the address bar.....
just get a blank page all the time

Thanks for your help so far....hope this is of use

Mond

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
That's strange I had a similar event - so removing my updates one by one seemed to be a good idea.
After taking off the 1st one with the latest date I rebooted and was back to normal - IE7 was working again.

The Update was KB 928090 !!!

Hope this helps.

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Found that update - KB928090 - and deleted it an that seems to have done the trick

Many thanks to you all ...... I did not know you could uninstall updates
I wonder why a windows update would not work......

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
According to Mico$oft's database, that particular update caused a lot of problems. There was a Hotfix for it. I checked all my updates and it was never installed in the first place. Better off without it as M$ is kinda slow correcting problems with their own updates.

Ron

mond

mond

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I sopke too soon - problem is back, this time can't even get email now! I think my silly computer has gone and installed that update again! Its back to msn for me.......better uninstall again - but how do I stop it from automatic update?

Thanks in advance

Mond

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Mond,
Switch off Automatic Updates and just have notify you so you have a choice to allow updates.

Download them but select the ones to install.

Hope this helps.