Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

svchost question

• Please log in to reply

Ruriko

Ruriko

• Pip
  • 8 posts
What does the svchost.exe do in the background? Does it need internet connection? cause my firewall says it's trying to connect to port 80 & 443. And connect to ip 207.46.20.254. I was thinking of blocking any connection made from svchost.exe

Edited by Ruriko, 04 March 2007 - 06:37 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What the service host processes do is provide a protected operating environment for running applications and it's normal to have several running in the background. With them you can close an application if there is a problem and not have to shutdown or reboot the system. As for as that one accessing the internet I don't know but some trojans have mimiced the service hosts.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
On my XP Home system (SP2) there is always a "Generic Host Service" that establishes my connection. I have discovered that without it, no connection is possible. "Svchost" covers alot of territory, and yes, most users have several running in Taskmanager at the same time. To gain a better view of the "Services" covered by svchost, I got the very useful free Process Explorer from Sysinternals: http://www.microsoft...ssExplorer.mspx (download link at bottom of page) A mouse-over each svchost shows a "tooltips" of the services being hosted, and a double click brings up an informational "Properties" dialog. XP Services often have arcane (and not very intuitive) names, but many are essential to the function of XP as we know it. Some are not, and some can consume system resources without providing much benefit. Before making changes to the Services' settings, I suggest a good read about them at: http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm I got myself into some serious trouble by playing with Services before learning about them. If you want to trim them down, I suggest a "Manual" setting rather than "Disable." (except for those disabled by default in your system) A "Manual" setting will allow the system to start the Service if required for any reason. If it is disabled, you are out of luck until you return and reset it. Some software applications install their own services as well. If you want the particular program to work, it's "Service" is also required.