Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound Device - Windows XP with ATI All-in-Wonder 9000

• Please log in to reply

Kalira

Kalira

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi everybody. I'm back.

Why me????

Okay - here is this weekend's deal: I am working on my dad's computer (again) and now what has happened is that it has lost all sound functions: system sounds, third party programs, pings, squeeks, etc. -- all vanished. I did the following to no avail:

Virus stuff -- none found.

Device Manager - says it cannot find a program to update the driver on some hardware I don't think is really there anyway.

Restore -- nope.

Repair and then a fresh reload of Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 with updates (three times).

Delete all software associated with ATI All-in-Blunder 9000 and all Sound, Video and Game Controllers; remove devices from Device Manager and allow XP to "find" them on reload -- Normal mode and Safe mode.

Physically remove ATI card and rebooted w/o it; then "installed" it as new. No go.

Downloaded numerous Registry-fixer programs.

Physically checked the solder contacts on the basic on-motherboard sound components. Look fine.

Device Manager has "Other Devices" it finds someplace in my hardware -- "Multimedia Audio Controller" which it does not recognize as being manufactuered by anyone and is unable to find any software that it might like to use; and Video Controller (VGA compatible). No driver updates for either, of course, and when these alleged "devices" are "removed" nothing changes -- they are found upon reboot -- yes, in safe mode as well.

Last but not least, I went online and searched for other people, similarly situated, and found numerous blogs and message boards complaining of the identical thing. I followed each thread to the bitter end and I have yet to find anyone who solved their problem. All are XP Pro with recent updates, as am I. Computers included Dell, HP, Compac, etc. Some used ATI cards; some did not.

Any suggestions anyone?

Kalira.

Edited by Kalira, 04 March 2007 - 07:14 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Make sure everything is properly enabled in the BIOS setup. You might check the voltage of the CMOS battery, should be 3 volts.