Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Which of the two systems is better?

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
WOW!! I cannot tell you how helpfull that was James. THANKS A LOT!!!

eh?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Glade I could help, this site may also be off use for you, even though its in american dollars it kinda gives you an idea.
Performance/$
James

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
SLI isnt a good thing to do when you build and its almost never a viable upgrade. Crossfire is similar at the moment buy ATI released it early to compete with SLI its not what it is supposed to be at the moment there is a new version coming out that is truer to crossfires original specifications its mainly involves utilising the second card for non gfx operations as well as gfx operations notably physics and AI use and some of the prototype crossfire boards have 3 x16 slots. So dont get it now but later in a year or so you might want to think about it when you upgrade the system.

a 7600GT is a good card nice balance between price and performance.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thank you warriorscot and James, you have been a great help. I am also wondering since I am not going to be running SLI or CrossFire, what would be a good motherboard with good overclocking and memory capabilities that would be at a reasonable price?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Your choice for the motherboard is fine, it'll allow you to update to Core 2 Duo as a future upgrade.
You may want to spend a little more on a PSU though, with todays hardware I wouldn't build a computer will any less then a 550W PSU, you have to remember no power supply has a 100% efficiency, so whats 450W on paper could mean less then 400W in real life. Most power supplys work in the range of 80% efficiency, meaning you'll get around 360 overall watts, cutting it a bit close. If you ever plan on upgrading in the future this'll be the very first thing that'll have to go.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 March 2007 - 05:35 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Upgrade potential the AMD is the best as AM2 will work on AMDs next gen of CPUs, the intel will let you upgrade to core2 but the AMD would also be faster to start with. Sometimes you need to get one of the SLI or crossfire boards just because those are the best chipsets even if you neve use SLI, look around MSI make non dual gfx boards in the nf5, so do Abit and gigabyte those are where i would look first.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
AM2 will work with the next generation, however it'll have limitation as well as features disabled, on current motherboards that is.
But warriorscot is right, the AMD set will run faster then the crappy quickly assembled pentium D's. Take into account that there will be price cuts up to 40% on intels side (the core 2 duos), depending on the processor and it's rumored to be april 22. So if you can wait you might want to, but then you could always wait till the next best thing. Only saying this because I don't know when you plan on building this setup.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I have noticed that they are in the lower price range too. I was just wondering do they have good overclocking abilities or not? Because I have a Asus mobo myself and I am VERY satisfied with the overclocking abilities. Right now I am overcloking a Pentium 4 2.66 GHz to 3.3303 Ghz with a stock fan. If they do have overclocking abilities I don't see why I shouldn't consider them as my options.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Pentium D's are very effective overclockers, if you can keep the temperatures down. People have problems with them at stock because they are running at 80oC, which is WAY to hot! Many people have achieved 4.1GHz, however I can't confirm weather or not thats on air or on water. Either way this is a very hot processor which will require after market cooling if you do attempt to overclock it.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 March 2007 - 07:33 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Wow I think we both replied at the same time. I am not in a rush so I can wait till like the end of July. Also as for the AMD as I heard from someone else in this topic they are overclocked before they are sold? Is this true? If so will this limit my overclocking options?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
AMD's are much more difficult to overclock as the processor that you are thinking about to purchase was one of the last to be released under it's microarchitecture. The processors are pretty well at their limit, its hit and miss on what you can achieve with them.
It is impossible to overclock a processor before its bought the settings are in the bios, not the CPU.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Wow this topic is moving fast. Performance wise is there a site like the one you showed me earlier that compares Processors? I just want to see if any of those two will give me any slight advantage at all, except the AM2 part, or if they're even in the same performance level. I noticed that the Pentium D was cheaper than the X2.

Edited by SOORENA, 07 March 2007 - 07:47 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
look around that site, you'll find alot of useful information.
AMD is better, you can't compare a Intel CPU to a AMD CPU, they do things differently.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
That helped a lot James thanks. Now for my other question again was are Mobos like MSI and Abit overclockable?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
That's something that your going to have to research you self, I have to go and every board is much different and its hard to keep tract of everyone saying which one is better then the other. If you have no luck, tonight let me know and I'll probably be able to dig something up tomorrow.
James

P.S. Give me exact links, so that I know the exact mobo models.