Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which of the two systems is better?

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hi I found this biostar that is cheap and has lots of features. Let me know what you think:

Biostar T-Force AM2

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Little bit too cheap, Biostar are rubbish quality if you are building a plodder its fine but if you want a high performance system the bigger brands i mentioned are the ones to go with.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ekk new skins are going to be hard to get used to, these text boxes look weird.

Anyways, just a heads up SOORENA, newegg doesn't ship outside of the USA.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thanks James. I was just using newegg to show the motherboard. Also I am having trouble finding a motherboard. Lol. Any suggestions? By the I am going with AMD!!! Yay.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I love the winter. :whistling:

http://www.tigerdire...a...&CatId=2320
I think this is a decent motherboard for the price, there is one disadvantage, it only supports a maximum of 4GB of ram were as many others support 8GB and 2GB sticks are going to become the norm within the end of the year I believe. It's your call, but price wise and what you get your pretty good. If you want two PCI-E slots you'll have to pay more.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thanks James. By the way that does go up to 8 Gb it says it in the description that you need 64 bit sticks.

Memory Expansion
The M2N-E provides 4 DIMM sockets using Dual Channel 240-pin DDR2 with a total capacity of up to 4GB (8GB-64bit). You can install DDR2 400/533/667/800MHz Memory

Well I guess thats a really good board then isn't it? LOL.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok so far we got the G-Card down, the MOBO down, the CPU down, and now time for the memory. I have selected the following two which are the same brand (OCZ).

2 GB Platinum Edition OCZ

OCZ Special OPS 1 GB

I am willing to pay a little extra since I'm gonna wait till the end of July. So I thought the 2 GB one was a sweet deal. It also comes in Gold Edition I don't know the difference.

Edited by SOORENA, 08 March 2007 - 08:09 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If your doing this build in July, that changes everything. Conroe will the the sweet spot for price/performance and you'll want a low end DX10 video card. Not to mention ram is continually falling in price.
James

P.S. That 2GB set is indead a good deal, low latencies, high clock speeds, and I forgot about that site! Thanx for that reminder.

Edited by james_8970, 08 March 2007 - 09:25 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ild tend to go for the MSI K9 boards or one of the abit boards for two reasons A. Asus has an awful reputation for AMD motherboards reliability and B. its cooling is sometimes a problem. MSI is also a company known for impecable quality and common sense and abit are the AMD masters.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hey thanks for the tip. So do you think this is good:

MSI K9 MOBO

Also I would rather get an MSI since the store I'm purchasing at does not sell Abit motherboards, beats me :whistling:.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah thats a good one, MSI motherboards also have the best manuals ive ever used they are great if its your first system or the first in a while they cover pretty much everything not just the basics, mines has 3 chapters dedicated solely for setting up RAID arrays.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Does it also have good overclocking features? Is there a place where I can find out?

Edited by SOORENA, 09 March 2007 - 07:13 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Hello? Anyone?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
MSI boards always have been good overclocking and were one of the first to have dynamic overclocking features and the bios makes overclocking very easy both manually and using presets for various percentages of the original speed up to i believe 30% if i remember correctly and its done on demand so it keeps the hardware at its normal speeds when its not needed and only overclocks it when the system approaches full load which is good at keeping idle temps lower than they normally would be at higher clock speeds.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Thank you warriorscot I am definetly getting a MSI motherboard.

Edited by SOORENA, 11 March 2007 - 10:19 AM.