Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big Problems!

• Please log in to reply

olewoman

olewoman

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I am working on a 98SE computer. It looks as though it's memory has been upgraded because it has 192mg of RAM. The first, and biggest problem is it is recognizing the hard drive (C:\) as a removable drive. In some places it says this drive has 2 gig of memory, in others it says approximately 16+ gig???? I have a upgrade CD of Windows 98SE, but it says it cannot put it on a removable drive. I have XP on disk, and it says there isn't enough room. The uninstall program is missing from most of the downloaded programs, and there are a bunch of them. The places that says there are 2 gig says that no memory has been used. In the places where it says there are 16 gig on it has 4 gig used. I am pretty sure someone has been fooling with the registry, and we all know what happens when people who mess with the registry usually cause big problems, as not alot of people are qualified to fool with the registry (including me). I have tried to delete a few of the programs that still had the uninstall programs and defrag, but I know the old defrags start over every time another program does anything. I thought I remembered a setting to stop the rest of the programs, but I can't find it. Yesterday, I got it to recognize the CD drive (it says DVD drive) so that at least it is in the my computer section, and though it is checked when the computer starts up, it doesn't recognize anything in the drive (like the 98 and XP disks) Today, I actually got a task manager. So after 10 hours that is the grand total of my accomplishments. I have tried to download some programs to straighten it out, and it says things like this download has 6500mg and you only have 6000mg. Please redownload. I downloaded the ATF Cleaner yesterday, and it worked fine, but today the same program gave me that stupid error.

I think the best thing to do is to completely reinstall the operating system, but until I get this C:\ drive problem out of the way I cannot do this. I don't know what info to give you right now, so if you will let me know what you need to know, I will post as per your instructions.

I hope I posted this in the right forum. I'm sure you will let me know if I haven't! :whistling:

Thank you so much for your time.

olewoman

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi olewoman...

First things first...if the machine is running, let's see if we can create a Startup Disk. This is assuming you have a working floppy drive. Click Start, then "Settings". Double click on "Add/Remove Programs", then click the "Create Startup Disk" tab. Click "Create Disk" and follow the on screen instructions to make the diskette. This will require 1 formatted floppy diskette. We'll use this to check the HDD before Windows loads...I suspect the drive is being mis-recognized by Windows...not by the machine.

Now a little information gathering. You say you have a Win98 upgrade cd...do you have an installation cd for an older version of Windows? For a repair installation, you may need that and will need a valid product key for the Win98. If you do not have an older version cd, our options may be quite limited.

Let me know about the above information and whether you are able to successfully create the startup diskette.

wannabe1

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
OK, thanks for your prompt attention. I will get back to you on Tuesday.

olewoman :whistling:

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi.

I sincerely apologize for the delay in responding to your generous offer of help. I hope you can forgive me. I don't believe in excuses, but there are a couple of serious matters that occured that needed immediate attention. I am planning on working on your suggestion tomorrow, and I hope to hear back from you.

Thank you so much for your time, help and patience.

olewoman

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi!

I did get a setup disk made (I hope successfully). I do not have an older version of 98 than 98SE. If we can possibly find out the proper amount of memory, can't we just load XP? Or am I jumping the gun? There are also major browser problems, but that can be reloaded, can't it? It is version 6.

Thanks.

Respectfully,
the olewoman.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

I think wannabe1 wants to know if you made the boot disc ok so he can help you further (post #2). If you made the Startup disc and there's nothing you want to keep on the PC, I would use the Boot Disk utilities to do some HD checks, then reformat the entire HD if you have a full install of Win 98/WinSE. You will need to set boot options in BIOS. Let wannabe1 walk you through this as it's been a long time for me doing this. Good luck.

Ron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm...I didn't get email notifications for olewoman's replies, but did for Major Paynes's.

You don't have enough RAM for XP you'll need to install another 128 MB minimum and I'd recommend 256MB.

Let's see if we can repair the Windows thats there. Do you have both versions of 98 on cd (98 and 98SE)?

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
OK.

First of all, I did make a start up disk, or as some may call it, a boot disk. It went through the download process to the floppy without any problems or errors. One of my major concerns is why in some places it says it only has 2 gig, with NO memory used, whereas in other places it says it has 16 gig with 4 gig used. We all know that a computer with 2 gig is going to use some memory. These places state there is NO memory used. It appears to have 192 RAM from the system info I have checked. I searched this computer thoroughly for any pertinent info that may help me. Now, if it does have 16 gig and 192 RAM, it could easily handle XP. To me, it looks as if it has been upgraded. I think someone who considered themselves a "Pro" just got in there and screwed with everything. I personally know people who think like this, without knowing how much there is to know about a computer. It is not a toy that you can take apart and put back together again without knowing how much damage can be done.

I have a new copy of the full operating system of XP, which, if I am not mistaken, will format the drive if it needs it. I only have an update disk of 98SE, which is what this computer is running. I know that the full operating system is on that disk, though how to get to it, I don't know. Back in the dark ages when I ran 98SE, Microsoft would give you a key to apply the entire operating system off the upgrade disk. I am sure it is impossible to do this today. I hope this helps. You had told me (or I read in help or something) that the startup disk has diagnostic and other programs that would help. I guess that MP thinks that the entire hard drive should be reformatted. I would like to at least try to attempt to help this one along as much as possible. You lose so much when you reformat. Your Word Processor, etc. After the few standard things (like running the ATF cleaner) that I attempted my friend said it seems to be running a little better.

Thanks so much. I am trying to be as helpful as I can. I know some, you all have taught me a lot, I have a degree from the stone ages...so I am mostly self taught. I appreciate your knowledge and assistance.

Respectfully,
old woman

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
XP will run on the RAM you have, but you won't be at all happy with the performance. XP likes to have at least 256MB to work properly and more if you want it to work up to it's capabilities...this from experience.

If you have the product key for the Win98SE then we are in business and should be able to repair the operating system that's currently installed. You should loose nothing you have on the machine...including drivers.

Do you have the product key we need?

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I have the product key for the upgrade edition of 98SE. Unfortunately, I do not have the product key for the original 98SE that is on the computer now. Does that help?

Edited by olewoman, 14 March 2007 - 03:53 AM.

Advertisements

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
PS...I let the email address for this site die because I went overboard with the email boxes. You should now receive my emails.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll be using the upgrade disk to run the repair...that's the product key we'll need to use...we're good to go. You will be asked for a previous version cd as verification of eligibility for the upgrade, but you should be able to use the other disk you have for that.

This will look just like an install...which it is, but we'll install right over the top on the current operating system...this will replace the system files and clean up the registry a bit. You data and programs will be fine.

Boot the machine using the startup (boot) disk you created. It will boot to a Startup Options screen...choose the first option..."Start with cd-rom support" and press "Enter". It will load cd-rom drivers and end up at a command prompt A:\.

At the prompt, type e: and press "Enter"...you should then have an E:\ prompt. (your drive letter will be moved one letter up as the boot disk has created a ram drive and named it D:, making the cd-rom E:)

At the E:\ prompt, type setup.exe and press "Enter". Installation should begin...just follow the prompts to complete the installation. Once this operation is under way, you can remove the startup disk...the next boot will be from the HDD.

If you run into problems, let me know...

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I am confused about one thing. In the first paragraph you state we will use the upgrade cd to reinstall. No prob. Been there, done that. But then you said for verification I should be able to use the other disk for that. What other disk? Do you mean the startup disk?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Most times, when reinstalling from an upgrade cd, you will be asked for verification that you have a previous version of Windows on cd...this is what I was speaking of. If you have Win98 on cd, you would use that for verification to install Win98SE. The startup disk is only used to boot the machine so you can run the setup or make other changes to the operating system or HDD configuration.

olewoman

olewoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
As I stated in post #10, I do not have the original product key for the 98SE that is already on the computer. I do not have the original disk. That is why I am writing to you. If I had that I could have fixed it myself. Please help!

Gratefully,
olewoman