Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with anti virus

• Please log in to reply

DJ_Inferno

DJ_Inferno

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi Guys I am currently using avast anti virus but i was wondering what everyone thinks is the best anti virus program to use.I have just upgraded my pc to a 1.8ghz duo core 2gb ram 2 x 250 gb hard drives and a ati x800 256mb graphics card.As this is a new pc i want to protect it properly and was hoping to get some advice from you guys.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I use AVG too (the commercial version AVG Security Suite) and I'm quite happy with it as it uses fewer system resources than most others yet it's AV performance is highly rated.

I read a test report last week that put the free AVG way above Norton for detecting the most viruses. That same test placed "Kaspersky Antviirus" at the top, and Kaspersky also have a suite which includes a firewall if, like me, you prefer to have both in a single package.

Kaspersky uses more ram than AVG (128Mb v 64Mb) but that should not be a problem on your rig. I'd use it myself if I had more than 512MB RAM. So that's my recommendation, Kaspersky.
http://www.kaspersky.com

Edited by pip22, 05 March 2007 - 08:55 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. You might also try using the forum's search feature. I've seen numerous topics which are right up your alley :whistling:

CBMatt

CBMatt

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
My vote's gonna have to go for AVG Free.

SNOWHITE

SNOWHITE

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,327 posts
If you want free antivirus, then i advice you to stay with avast! 4 Home Edition, it is a full-featured antivirus package in which you have included On Demand Scanner, On Access Scanner with 7 providers for e-mail clients, Instant Messaging, Network Shied (intrusion detection-lightweight firewall), P2P protection, Web shield, Standard Shield etc. Avast has Boot time scanner, that means that you can schedule scan before Windows fully loads, has Trojan detection, has Screen saver that you can activate if you are away for longer time from the computer, if you don't like the default skin you can choose another from available 30 skins, has automatic updates so you don't have to do anything, and its not resource hog. Soon avast 5 will be out, in which will be included self protecting code and some other features that for sure are not present in any other free antivirus and etc. You may want to read the Editor's Review at C-NET about avast! 4 Home Editon.

Now, if you want to pay for antivirus protection, then i highly advice you to try NOD32

Regards,