Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still stuttering in games after change of system!

• Please log in to reply

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey, I posted a while ago about stuttering in online games I'm having. Its really weird, I get very high frame rates constantly, but other players in the world seem to stutter around the screen. Not all players do but a lot of them do. Its strange, if they move in one direction without turning or stopping then everything is fine, but the moment they turn of stop there is a stutter, then if they turn again another.

Its driving me crazy, I have changed every aspect of my computer now, with my new 1GB stick of Corsair high performance RAM arriving today, I hoped this would fix it, but nothing.

Here are my NEW system specs, everything is different from old computer now:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2
GPU: Nvidia 7600GS
RAM: 1GB Cosair Value Select, 1GB Corsair High performance XMS, dual channel (Have tried each on their own)
Motherboard: ASRock 939NF6G-VSTA
Hard Disk: 200GB Seagate Maxtor SATA

In fact the only things iI havent changed are the DVD drives, but I find it hard to beleive it could be them because the online games are run from the hard drive.

Games I have had problems with so far:
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2142
World of Warcraft
EVE Online
Everquest 2

And, different from described above, Black and White 2 also stutters, but this is the whole game stopping then starting every few seconds.

The absolute ONLY things I havent changed now are my DVD drives, monitor, keyboard, and operating system, although I might be upgrading to Vista soon.

Thanks

EDIT: I can play Elder Scrolls 4 on default graphics with NO slowdown or stutters in sight, as well as HL2.

Edited by Thomascoote, 05 March 2007 - 07:15 AM.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Did u think about you'r internet connection?
It could b the speed of your connection, or the lan card.

I'm only shareing a thought .

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

RAM: 1GB Cosair Value Select, 1GB Corsair High performance XMS, dual channel (Have tried each on their own)

You are running these two sticks in dual channel mode or do have like two 512mb sticks of each?

Have you checked to make sure you pc is malware free?

Have tried disabling anti virus programs and other memory taxing processes before gameplay?

Also have tried playing the games with "low" graphics settings?

Edited by Titan8990, 07 March 2007 - 03:23 PM.

FCCAGut

FCCAGut

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
It may or may not be:

Internet

Anti-Virus programs (Norton is definite)

Graphics Card

Processor

or RAM.

Try getting all the latest drivers for all your computer components, but it does sound like a graphic card issue, and what's your Operating System, we need that as well. Vista you will defintely will have a problem, the crashing, the BSOD's, the slowness, I could only guess what your problems could expand to having that same problem going into Vista.

Edited by FCCAGut, 08 March 2007 - 05:55 AM.