Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question About accessing Desktop PC with wireless Notebook at Home

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I have a quick question and was hoping someone might be able to help me out. I have a desktop PC that I have all my music stored on however I just got a new laptop that I am connected to through my wireless router. My question is I want to be able to access all my music on my dektop pc through my laptop. Is there away to share my music out on the dektop pc so I can access it with my laptop through some networking capability? Or can I just share out a folder on my desktop pc and then be able to access with the laptop? I would really appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Probably the easiest was is to set up a secure FTP server on the desktop and install an FTP client on the laptop. You could install an https server instead and use IE to access it, more convenient but not as easy to do.

For a server I suggest ftpshell.com

and a client coreftplite

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Are you talking about internally at home or across the internet?

If across the internet then FTP as suggested or even setting up a SHoutcast server would be easy.

If it is internally it's just a matter of setting up a shared folder and accessing it through your local LAN connection.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Yeah its through my lan. So all I need to do is make a shared folder on my desktop then search for it on my laptop correct?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

Yeah its through my lan. So all I need to do is make a shared folder on my desktop then search for it on my laptop correct?

Assuming these systems are using Windows 2000 or greater? If you are using Win98 or WinME then things get a little trickier... If not, then yeah, all you need to do is create a folder, share it out (obviously make sure that both computers are in the same IP subnet.. if you are using DHCP then you are set) and then just browse to that folder via the network and your other system can access the files and open them in WMP, WInAmp, or whatever you use to play music with...

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
My desktop is running XP pro and my laptop is running xp home, should that make a differance or no? Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Valides Davis

Valides Davis

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hey,

Check the home network tutorial listed on the networking page. It's the second one from the top.
I'm sure after you readit , you are going to be able to set your network by yourself.

good luck

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

My desktop is running XP pro and my laptop is running xp home, should that make a differance or no? Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.

Not for a home network.

Share the directory you wish and then browse for it in Network Neighborhood and you should be able to see it.

Again, you will need to be in the same IP subnet. So if you have a router providing your IP info you should be OK.

And again, there is a great tutorial here at G2G on home networking:

http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=102163