Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folder icons start freshly installed software

• Please log in to reply

sonny51

sonny51

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
install.JPG Issue (Windows XP OS SP2):
After loading software on my PC, clicking on a file Folder runs the program that was installed.
Right clicking on a Folder opens a drop down box which displays Browse with whatever software was installed.
This is effecting most of the folder icons, as I have noticed some are OK.
Example, clicking on STRAT|Control Panel starts the program which was installed as does
Start|My Documents, Start|My Computer and the Folders which are nested.
Right clicking and chosing OPEN or EXPLORE will produce the correct results.

I have included a picture for a better understanding of this issue.

Installing programs are somehow being redirected to most but not all icons ,which in turn, runs the program that was installed.

Hmm! Sounds like a registry problem. :whistling: :blink:

I have received help in the Maleware Forum and have removed maleware from my computer.

Thank You

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yes, this is a registry problem... quite easily fixed.

Go to Start>run... type in regedit
Once in the Registry editor, maximize the window, and expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT by clicking on the + sign
Scroll down the window until you find an entry called Directory (it will be about 1/3 down the window)
Expand the Directory key by clicking on the + sign
There will be several folders, click on the folder called Shell (clicking on it will highlight it)
In the right window of the Registry editor you will see the Default string with Paint shop pro as the data
Double click on the Default icon to modify the data
Type in none or explorer, then click ok
close the Registry editor window

Editing the registry always comes with warnings about backing up and such. If you are not comfortable with editing the registry, please ask questions first!

Edited by makai, 05 March 2007 - 11:06 AM.

sonny51

sonny51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
no_paint.JPG

Hello makai,
Sorry but no Paint Shop Pro Here. :whistling: Please view the picture.
Thanks for the advise!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post...

When you double-click on a file folder, the folder will open in whatever program you installed rather than opening normally so you can browse the files? Is this correct? If it is, then the registry fix I gave you should have worked. Try going back into the registry and changing the value to "explorer" rather than "none".

Also, your first photo shows "Explore" in the context menu. Normally, "Explore" will only show up on system folders/drives and not File Folders. You may have to check the registery to see if "Folders" has the PaintShop pro entry. Just go into the registry like you did before and instead of scrolling down to "Directory", look for "Folder". Check the "Shell" entry, but don't change anything yet. Just post the info here.

What is happening is that some programs will "steal" the association for opening folders. Irfanview, Breezebrower, to name a few, will do this if you purposely enable context menu support (manually or otherwise). I guess Paintshop Pro will also do this since that is what your photo showed. Is Paintshop pro the only program that has done this or have there been others? Paintshop pro should have an option to disable context menu support somewhere in preferences. Try checking the Options in PSP.

Also, try this...
Open MyComputer
Go to Tools> Folder Options
Select the File Types tab
Scroll down the list to Folder and click on it to higlight it, then click on Advanced
If there is an entry for Open, click on it to highlight it, then click on Set Default, then click OK. Click on OK to close the Folder Options window.

Edited by makai, 05 March 2007 - 05:49 PM.

sonny51

sonny51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry my friend. Way off base! Double clicking on the folder starts the program. To open the folder to see whats in it you have to choose open or explore from the menu only when Paint Shop Pro is installed. The problem is'nt with Paint Shop Pro.
I have not attempted to install another program. My specs for my computer are listed under my profile. I have already tried your other sugestions. Thanks for the reply!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
When you go into Folder options, what is set as default to open both File Folders and Folders? The default action should be bolded.

sonny51

sonny51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
All Folder have been set to their defaults. The default action is bolded.

I believe the registry has been corrupted and will need to be rebuilt with a clean install. Although programs are functioning properly, the next time I install a piece of software I will know and make a decision as to starting a clean install. Something is telling newly installed software to shell to (RUN) the program that was installed when double clicking on a folder(s) regardless on what is in it as can be viewed by the drop down menu picture from my first post. If you view my thread in the maleware forum you will see that a number of things were done.
Thank You and have a nice day!