Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC start-up stalling at Windows XP screen.

• Please log in to reply

Simon_H

Simon_H

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello everyone,

I'm unfortunately having a big problem with my computer, one that has happened all of a sudden. Just a few days ago, I switched the computer on as usual and after a few seconds it reached the black Windows XP screen with the little 'loading' bar at the bottom. Of course normally it would almost immediately go past this to the blue 'welcome' screen before allowing me to type my log-in password and access my user account. But for some reason now it just stays frozen on the Windows XP screen with the little bar scrolling across at the bottom. It would stay on that screen all day if I let it.

I pressed the reset button and that brought up the black screen with text about how Windows had not started up properly, with several options on how to proceed. I chose 'Start using last known good settings' but unfortunately the computer once again got stuck on the Windows XP screen. Luckily I can use the computer in 'Safe mode with networking' allowing me to access my files and use the internet, but obviously a lot of the computer's functionality is disabled in Safe Mode.

I'm just wondering if anyone can shed any light on why this problem has occurred. I don't think I had installed anything or changed the system in any way immediately prior to having this problem. If anyone can offer me any advice or help me out at all I would be hugely grateful.

Thanks!

Simon.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi Simon H, Welcome to G2G. give this a try.
SYSTEM RESTORE from safe mode
See if you can get in safe mode,try this
1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up
until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that
has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore
From....

Simon_H

Simon_H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Dwight,

Thanks a lot for your help, and the welcome to the site. I tried the System Restore and restored my computer to 17th Feb which is well before these current problems started. Unfortunately when I tried start-up once more the process still stalled on the Windows XP screen.

Do you know of anything else I can try?

Thanks again,

Simon.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try booting from your CDROM.

You may have a corrupt boot.ini file (Boot.ini is a hidden system file in c: root directory. You must enable viewing hidden and system files. Also, if you want to edit boot.ini, you have to remove the read only attribute from the file.). See if this will help you even if you received no errors:

Invalid Boot.ini

Ron