Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Short BIOS Question.

• Please log in to reply

Purgatory

Purgatory

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hey guys,

Just a small question, I'll provide all the info I have.

I have a MSI Neo Conroe P965 Motherboard.
My BIOS version is 1.5
There is an updated version 1.6
Some minor fixes with CPU Micro Code and a fix for something Vista related.
It says it's okay to use their provided flash utility, I found this update via the MSI Live Update Tool.

I was wondering, if it would be a good idea to write down all my BIOS settings in case they get reset or something. Or would updating the BIOS not affect my settings at all?

Or, should I not bother with the update all together?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you're not noticing any issues currently....then the bios update should be avoided...the bios falls into that "if it aint broke don't fix it" kind of deals...if the vista fix in the new bios is something that you need you could concider the update....it would be best to find out if their flash utility (always use the manufacturer's flash utility by the way) has the ability to back up your current bios so that you can revert if something dies..

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
So I should mostly avoid it. Unless once I am messing around with Vista I get some crashes, the crashes correspond with something called DTM or something. Then again, when I am messing around with Vista that issue might not affect me correct?

I'm guessing I'll avoid it for now.

Thanks for the info.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

the bios falls into that "if it aint broke don't fix it" kind of deals

I TOTALLY agree with dsenette on this. There is nothing more dangerous than an unnecessary bios upgrade.

No issues... don't upgrade!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
pretty much...you may or may not get an issue with vista and your bios..if you do...and it's related to the bios (hard to dertimine) then update the bios...if you don't notice any problems...then don't worry about it