Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer has died...! Please help!

• Please log in to reply

fosman

fosman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

I was removing some spyware from my computer, namely ceres and coolwebsearch, but it seems to have killed my internet connection!

I can connect to the internet, and when I ping my computer's DNS address, its fine. Packets are being sent recieved. I can even use Limewire.

But when I try to load any websites, either via Explorer or Firefox, it simply won't connect. I tired to check the internet settings, but when I click on tools > internet settings, it won't allow me say that there are 'restictions on place on the computer' and I need to check with the administrator... but its a home computer with only ONE profile!!!

AND

Now, if I go to the control panel (where "internet options" had also disappeared earlier) all my icons have now gone. Its says that there are 29 files, but won't display anything.

AdAware SE says I don't have anything untoward on my PC.

I'm running Window's ME, so the Microsoft Spyware Beta system won't work.

What do I do!?!?!?!

:tazz: ;) ;) :)

Oh, and I've tried to include as much info as I can, but I've had to go to my office to type this... as I can't connect at home (obviously!!!). So sorry to be a pain, but as many suggestions as possible would be appricated so I can log in again and take them home.

Thank you!

F

Advertisements

fosman

fosman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
forgot to metion, I have ZoneAlarm as a firewall, but disabled this and it still doesn't work. Its like another firewall has been set up on my computer without my permission!!!