Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Crashing...

• Please log in to reply

ukchris

ukchris

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:whistling:

I have had issues with my PC recently. The PC keeps crashing and so I tried a few things, such as doing a system restore, but the PC crashed DURING this process.

Now when I boot the PC up, I get to the login screen and as soon as I input my password everything seems to crash.

I'd like to retrieve the files on my computer (bookmarks, emails etc.), so I tried using Bart PE, but I can't access the files due to the password problem.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Advertisements

ukchris

ukchris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Basically I need a way to bypass the password protection on my account. Or a way to amend my user profile to delete the password.

I hope there is a way to retrieve all of my files. Using Bart I can SEE the files, but can't retrieve them. It's quite frustrating!

I don't know why the keyboard won't work when I boot up, but I suspect it's something to do with the system restore crashing, and now the OS is corrupt.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Crashing can be a heat problem caused by such things as dust on the CPU cooler or the cooler not coupling properly to the CPU. You might want to check those items.

ukchris

ukchris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Tyger,

I think the OS is now unstable because of the crash during system restore. I really need to backup my files.

So essentially what I require is some way to bypass the windows login screen because every time I use the keyboard at that point - the PC freezes. I tried the Bart tool, but although I can see the files I don't have access because of the password protection.

I am hoping that there is something I can do to get access. Is there a nice little program that will help?

I tried reinstalling the OS but the PC crashed, so that's a no-no. It's too unreliable.

Edited by ukchris, 05 March 2007 - 01:56 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You can try running Chkdsk from the Recovery Console.

Put the Windows XP CD in the cd-rom drive and shut the machine OFF. Power the machine back on and watch the screen for the prompt "Press any key to boot from cd"...press the spacebar once.

This should take you to a "Welcome to Setup" screen...Press R to load Recovery Console"

On the next screen, select your operating system by typing the number to the left of it. In most cases, this will be 1. C:\WINDOWS...so type 1.

If you are prompted to type a password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

This should take you to a command prompt...C:\WINDOWS>

Type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". Note the space before /r. You may be told the volume is in use and asked if you want to schedule this to run on the next boot...type Y and press "Enter". This should start the chkdsk operation.

If the machine doesn't reboot automatically, but returns to command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". The machine should reboot...do not press a key to boot to cd...let it boot to the HDD.

This will be a very long check and may appear to start over a few times...this is normal, let it finish. 60 to 90 minutes for this check is not unusual. It should then automatically boot to Windows.

Did this allow you to get into Windows?

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

So essentially what I require is some way to bypass the windows login screen because every time I use the keyboard at that point - the PC freezes.

You have asked for this information twice now, I am starting to see a pattern.

You will get no help here with bypassing a password. No matter the circumstances. That information can be used by anyone else for who-knows-what. Do not request this information again, please follow the instructions you are given.

ScHwErV :whistling:

ukchris

ukchris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Linda Gail: Thanks for your help, I will give that a try.

ScHwErV: I loathe your tone, completely unnecessary. I have asked for this info twice? This is my first thread here, and if I repeated myself it was in an attempt to clarify.

This question is completely innocent. I have no interest in hacking and I am offended at that implication!!!!

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Be offended if you like, however I have a job to do and I do it without apology.

The information you have asked for twice will not be given to you here. If you want to seek other ways of fixing your problem, then feel free. The mention of password bypass is unacceptable, regardless of my "tone".

Your question may be "innocent" but the answer would not be, thats why it is not allowed here.

ukchris

ukchris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Once again, I was clarifying what I meant, and if I repeated anything it was for that purpose and not your unstated implication that I am some sorta hacking type desperate for hacking help!

I appreciate the help I have received here, and I am happy to follow rules, but I prefer a nicer tone.

ukchris

ukchris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Update: I tried chkdisk as advised in the chatroom here, but the computer keeps crashing during it.

I will login to chat a bit later and hopefully see a few of you there.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
In keeping with this site's TOS, you can go to Mico$oft's database and do a search for the information you seek. Any further help about password bypassing will not be given, but TOS doesn't say Micro$oft can't help you with your problem.

Ron