Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant XP Installation Error

• Please log in to reply

dancecubed

dancecubed

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys.
I recently bought a new computer that was custom built by my friend. Getting straight to the point, when I installed XP on it the first time, it looked as if it installed correctly. While running XP after the installation, I tried installing my video card drivers to get an installation error from InstallShield every time. I thought this was just because of a corrupt file but it continued, each time I tried to installed any different program. So I got fed up with the copy I had and tried another copy my friend had gotten.

This was a custom built version on XP with a built in theme and everything so I tried installing it and the installation turned out fine. After running it, the program installation was working great...at first. When ever a program requires me to restart, I restart the computer and when it turns back on, it brings me to the loading screen. After it finishes loading, it restarts by itself before it even hits the Desktop. Then the boot screen has weird lines across it the second time it restarts and it says that the computer restarted badly and it gives me the choice of either running it with the Last Good Configuration or normally. Either one I choose, it repeats the same procedure until I enter the BIOS manually. I change 1 thing in the BIOS and when I restart, it works.

I'm running MemTest86 right now and it has given me 82 errors so far, but it only started testing so I'll update it as we go along. I need help with this and I really want to thank you guys ahead of time for helping me. :whistling:

EDIT: It's up to 448 errors.

Edited by dancecubed, 05 March 2007 - 01:15 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Either one I choose, it repeats the same procedure until I enter the BIOS manually. I change 1 thing in the BIOS and when I restart, it works.

What is that you change in the bios that causes it to start properly? How hot does your bios say you are running?

Have you tried to reinstall windows?

And just to make sure I understand your problem correctly, the main problem is with booting up?

dancecubed

dancecubed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Either one I choose, it repeats the same procedure until I enter the BIOS manually. I change 1 thing in the BIOS and when I restart, it works.

What is that you change in the bios that causes it to start properly? How hot does your bios say you are running?

Have you tried to reinstall windows?

And just to make sure I understand your problem correctly, the main problem is with booting up?

I checked out the BIOS and I can now say that changing it isn't what made the difference. In fact, I don't know what it is that helps it start up sometimes.

I've tried reinstalling windows many times, along with reformatting the partition many times but with no avail.

The main problem is dependent on what I do with the computer but I think the main problem is the memory. I ran MemTest86 and I received 804 errors so I know it's a hardware problem, but I can't pinpoint whether it's the RAM or anything else.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
HI there

If Memtest86 reported 804 errors, then the problem is almost certainly the ram!
Try this :
If you have more than one stick of ram in the system, then try removing all the sticks except one & run memtest again. Repeat this process for each stick individually & let me know what memtest reports. If memtest reports errors for the first stick you test, then when you test the next stick, place it in a different ram slot. However, if the first stick passes with no errors, then test all of the sticks in the same slot.

If you only have one stick to start with, then try moving it to a different ram slot & run memtest again.

Let me know what the results are for each stick you test